Goulds Jet Pump Switch Problem - Please Help!

Users who are viewing this thread

rchaney99

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to plumbing and well equipment, so I am going to try to explain this as best as I can. We just bought this house, so I am learning all its equipment.

We have a well that pumps water into a 2500 gallon storage tank. We have a 40 gallon pressure tank. We also have a Goulds "Jet Pump". 2 days ago and last night we lost water pressure to the house. It happened both times while my wife was running a hot bath and I was running hot water in the kitchen. I couldnt figure out the problem so I went to the well house. There is a small grey plastic box with 1 nut on it next to the Jet Pump. It has connectors and electrical wiring in it... When I pulled up on one set of those roundish connecters, it made contact with the other set and the jet pump kicked back on and all was fine. This has happened 2 times now though in under a week.

Any idea what the problem could be? Is that switch box bad? Or something else? The pressure tank was just replaced.

Thanks for any and all help.

rchaney99

Reaction score
Update: Tonight my wife ran a bath and it did it again... I did not run any other water though. So it when she runs a bath that it trips the switch on the Jet Pump.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Is there a lever hanging out under the cover on one side that you are moving to get the pump going again?

bob...

rchaney99

Reaction score
Is there a lever hanging out under the cover on one side that you are moving to get the pump going again?

bob...

It did look like there was a metal lever... but i coulnt get it to move. So i assumed it was a gaurd to protect the switch or something. To get it started I just push the connectors together so they make contact.

Speedbump

Reaction score
And you held the points together until the pump picked up a fews pounds of pressure and were able the then let them go and it got up to 50 lbs and shut off.

That is a low pressure cut off switch and it will do that everytime the pump gets below a certain pressure below the cut in pressure. It's designed to protect your pump and to be a pain in the A**.

bob...

rchaney99

Reaction score
And you held the points together until the pump picked up a fews pounds of pressure and were able the then let them go and it got up to 50 lbs and shut off.

That is a low pressure cut off switch and it will do that everytime the pump gets below a certain pressure below the cut in pressure. It's designed to protect your pump and to be a pain in the A**.

bob...

I didnt have to hold it... as soon as the ends made contact it turned the jet Pump on.

So... possibly the new pressure tank was not installed correctly? Or?? What do I need to do to fix it?

rchaney99

Reaction score
You can post them here, then everyone can see them.

bob...

Pics are attached. Sorry low quality - its all I could get. Hopefully this will help!

Attachments

• IMG00009-20090513-2047.jpg
    IMG00009-20090513-2047.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 849
  • IMG00010-20090513-2048.jpg
    IMG00010-20090513-2048.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 878
  • IMG00011-20090513-2048.jpg
    IMG00011-20090513-2048.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 886

Speedbump

Reaction score
The quality isn't that bad, it's that the pics don't show the entire system or the switch from far enough away to see if it has a lever or not.

It's a Goulds shallow well jet pump and that's about all I know for sure.

bob...

rchaney99

Reaction score
The quality isn't that bad, it's that the pics don't show the entire system or the switch from far enough away to see if it has a lever or not.

It's a Goulds shallow well jet pump and that's about all I know for sure.

bob...

If you look at the last picture... the only piece that could possibly be a lever is that metal stick looking thing at the bottom of the picture. Last night my wife ran a bath, and we didnt lose water pressure! This is getting fustrating. Im not even sure why we have the goulds pump if we have a 40 gallon pressure tank.

Speedbump

Reaction score
The pictures just don't show enough of what I need to see.

The pressure tank is necessary. It basically goes with the pump.

bob...

Speedbump

Reaction score
Back up some so I can see how the pump is plummed to the tank and whatever it gets it's water from. Give me a side view of the switch, not the top.

bob...

rchaney99

Reaction score
Here are more pics. Better?

Attachments

• well1.jpg
    well1.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 957
  • well2.jpg
    well2.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 1,011
  • well3.jpg
    well3.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 835

Speedbump

Reaction score
Where the suction pipe leaves the pump and takes a right turn. Is that a tee in the suction line or is it another pipe making it look that way.

Where does the other 1" line go that comes of the discharge of the pump?

That is a FSG-2-M4 switch. The plate is down under the springs and the points are open. That is how they work.

Your suction line leaves the pump 1-1/4" then goes down to 1" with elboes, a union and possibly more fittings that are not necessary. These are all friction losses and can hurt your pumps ability to get the water it wants.

bob...

RPL1

Service Mgr., WTS-III, 15 years exp.
Reaction score
Hi. I thought the same thing at first glance. I think the suction line enters the pumphouse at the right side of the first picture. I think the suction line 90s down to run along the top of the pressurized line. As it exits the pressure tank that line also goes out of the frame and then reappears creating what appears to be a water softener loop. It looks to me like it then runs under the suction line and out through the wall to the left.

The pressure switch is threaded onto a 1/4" brass nipple. This is how the switch senses the current line pressure, and therefore controls the pump operation. If debris builds up inside that nipple, or inside the pump housing, it can cause issues. In order to operate properly, the switch depends on real-time sensing of the pressure. I have seen this problem many times, and I hope it helps you. (Probably not a do-it-yourself job unless you're comfortable with water and electricity in close quarters)

Also, the pressure tank should be precharged with air. The precharged pressure should be 2 pounds below the cut-in pressure of the switch. For example, if your pressure switch is set to turn on the pump when line pressure reaches 40 psi, and to turn the pump off when line pressure is 60 psi (this is a typical range--could be higher or lower), then you should get a reading of 38 psi at the valve stem on your pressure tank (looks like a car or bicycle tire valve stem--it may have a cap screwed onto it) You can check the pressure with a standard tire pressure gauge. Incorrect tank pressure can cause the problem you are describing as well.

Sorry for the longwinded response. Hope this helps you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks