Chain E-mail About the American Flag

Users who are viewing this thread

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Have any of you all gotten the chain e-mail about the American Flag Upside down and Flying below a Mexican flag out in California? I just did, and I would of thought it to be some sort of fake e-mail. So I checked it out on Snope, Digg, and Truth or Fiction. Sadly it was true back in March 27, 2006.

If you want to read the truth part and the e-mail here is the link at truth or fiction (no annoying pop-ups like Snope) http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/m/montebello-flag.htm

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
It's only a flag. The Flag Code serves as a guide to be followed on a purely voluntary basis to insure proper respect for the flag. The Supreme Court has ruled that politically motivated violations of the Flag Code are protected by the First Amendment.

The Flag Code has no provision for enforcement. No fines, no penalties. There is nothing law enforcement can do when the Flag Code is broken.

Your rules for how to use the American flag are actually pretty relaxed compared to most other countries.

foldflag.gif

For example, most would not let you hang it from a car unless you are someone quite special. But here anyone can, as long as the staff is fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right fender.

South Africa has some of the tightest rules I have seen.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Oh, Ian if you were to have spoken to my dad when he was alive he would had set you straight real fast. He fought for that flag, that flag is a symbol of our country, it is disrespectful for those who fought, and either lived or died for our country.

No, Ian it is not just a flag. That was my dad. I would personally had climbed up that pole and made it right.

That flag does not touch the ground or does not get tattered or torn, and hangs always proudly in the air.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Quite Frankly What I would like to see is when there is a similar demonstration that the marchers are all detained until citizenship can be verified and that all who are not US citizens are deported immediately...

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Not that anyone has mentioned it, but the graphic in my post is actually a demonstration on how the American flag should be folded.

If you really love the American flag that much (which you all clearly do) then you must also consider other flag violations which you probably overlook more than you might think.

barackflag_t.jpg

Baltimore, MD. Flags overprinted with the new President's image and name are distributed to celebrate his inauguration. Section 8g of the Flag Code reads, "The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature."

bush911_t.jpg

September 11, 2006, President Bush and first lady Laura Bush stand on a carpet of the American flag at Ground Zero in Manhattan, the site of the September 11, 2001 attack. Section 8b of the Flag Code reads, " The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground..."

kidrockflag_t.jpg

Super Bowl 2004, half-time show featured the wearing of an American flag by performer Kid Rock. He later removed the flag poncho and hurled it over his head. Section 8d. reads, "The flag should never be used as wearing apparel."

bushflag_t.jpg

In July 2003 President Bush autographed a small flag. This picture was circulated across the Internet noting its violation of the Flag Code: "The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature."

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
As, much as you might not understand this, those examples you cited were not deliberate actions of disrespect, hanging it upside as in the other mentioned, is. Does this make any sense to you? I cannot explain it, in any other way, Ian. It is the intent.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
I'm sorry but I would never walk on the American flag
I do have a patch on my hat that has the American flag
As well as one on one coat

So he didn't intend to walk on the flag??

He didn't intend to sign the flag?

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
It's a quarterstaff. The quarterstaff may be made from many kinds of wood, commonly ash, oak, hazel, or hawthorn. It may have metal spikes or caps at one or both ends. The length of the staff varies, typically ranging from 6 to 9 feet. The weapon seems to have become shorter and lighter later in its history, though 3-meter staves (made of bamboo or ash) wood were still sometimes employed in Victorian England.

The quarterstaff is effectively a long two-handed club, although its weight distribution is generally even throughout its entire length (some forms did have weighted tips, however). It was used both to deliver crushing blows, and to thrust like a spear. The art of using the staff was closely related to that of other polearms, and it was often employed as a training weapon for the latter. Moves include many different forms of blocks, thrusts, strikes, and sweeps.

The staff, being a very simple weapon to manufacture, has a long history of use, and a wide cultural dispersion. The staff is a traditional weapon of many Asian martial arts. The quarterstaff proper was historically a common weapon in England, where it is featured in the Robin Hood legend as the favorite weapon of Little John. There are also many tools that can easily be used as or quickly converted to a staff. Like copper pipe.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
america

When a French envoy asked why the convention was in France but was being conducted in English, he was told that if it were not for America and England, the meeting would be in German.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The American Flag upside down means America in Distress...I am not sure if when it was place that way they knew it or not...they may have done it to disrespect it...but regardless it should have been on the National News but the politically correct left wouldn't want to cause any problems with their voters...

when I gaze at the general view of our president it reminds me of how much of Germany acted toward Hitler before and during the War...

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The American Flag upside down means America in Distress...I am not sure if when it was place that way they knew it or not...they may have done it to disrespect it...but regardless it should have been on the National News but the politically correct left wouldn't want to cause any problems with their voters...

when I gaze at the general view of our president it reminds me of how much of Germany acted toward Hitler before and during the War...

Yes Cass, the US flag upside down is a recognized distress signal...

However, to have one nations flag above another, or share the same flagpole is disrespect.

When flown with the national banner of other countries, each flag must be displayed from a separate pole of the same height. Each flag should be the same size. They should be raised and lowered simultaneously. The flag of one nation may not be displayed above that of another nation.http://www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html

As I stated above...
Round them all up, Check citizenship, and deport as many as possible...
What would happen if we went to Mexico and had a similar demonstration disrespecting their flag?

UN.jpg

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes Cass, the US flag upside down is a recognized distress signal...

However, to have one nations flag above another, or share the same flagpole is disrespect.

As I stated above...
Round them all up, Check citizenship, and deport as many as possible...
What would happen if we went to Mexico and had a similar demonstration disrespecting their flag?

I will hold them while you check and see if they are...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks