Kitchen electrical

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff1

Reaction score
I'm adding kitchen cabinets on a half wall. This will be an L shaped counter and the full wall next to it will have an outlet. The total length of the half wall counter is 54". Based on code,if I'm reading it right, there needs to be an outlet for this counter space. Since this counter top is the same level as the half wall, do I need to add the outlet? Thanks for all your help.

3m

Reaction score
according to article 210.52 (c)(1) A receptacle outlet shall be installed at each wall counter space that is 12 in or wider. Receptacles outlets shall be installed so that no point along the wall line is more than 24 inches measured horizontaly from a recepticle outlet in that space. Peninsular and island counter tops also require a recaptacle also

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
receptacle

Why would you want to avoid putting one in beneath the counter top. If you are like 99% of the population you will end up using it at some point in time. Kitchens seem to be one place where it is impossible to install too many outlets. When I did my own house, I used double duplexes at each location so I would not wind up with any triplex adapters.

Billy_Bob

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why would you want to avoid putting one in beneath the counter top...

I was thinking the same thing.

I call this a "daily thing". We use the kitchen daily.

And you can have frustration daily - an old outlet where you need to wiggle the plug to get it to work, or no outlets where you need them, or not enough outlets. Every single day you are frustrated and irritated (slightly) by this inconvenience!

Or it can be a daily PLEASURE. The old outlet has been replaced with a new outlet which works, and there are outlets where you need them, and always enough outlets available where and when you need them.

One less "irritation" in your daily life...

Jeff1

Reaction score
Its not that I don't want to do it, its that the countertop will be at the same height as the top of the wall and will extend over the wall. What are the options? Add the outlet in the countertop? How about on the other side of the wall? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There is some benefit to having the outlets IN the counter rather than in the half-wall under it. This would keep the cord from having to go over the edge which is an accident waiting to happen.

Tjbaudio

Reaction score
There is some benefit to having the outlets IN the counter rather than in the half-wall under it. This would keep the cord from having to go over the edge which is an accident waiting to happen.

The outlets can not be face up under any circumstances. The wall under your counter or a box that sits above the counter (similar to a lab counter) are your current options.

In my kitchen I made the 1/2 wall is taller than the counters and I put the outlets in that. I also put more outlets in than code requires.
I have 4 counter sections that are about 2 ft wide. 3 of them have 2 outlets. One (under a window) only has one outlet. We love having so many outlets. The peninsula has the coffee pot, toaster, and still has very convenient outlets for cellphone chargers. ANY time I go to plug in some thing in the kitchen there is an outlet right where I need it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks