What On Earth Is This?

Users who are viewing this thread

RoughDobermann

Reaction score
Hi All. We just bought a new house and there is a two inch wide PVC pipe sticking out of the ground near the sprinkler manifold and valves. It was full of rocks, so I carefully removed them (not fun) to see what was at the bottom. It looks like a metal plus sign, almost like a valve. Does anyone know what this is or could be?

Attachments

• Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 461

RoughDobermann

Reaction score
Here's a closer picture of whatever it is:

Attachments

• Picture 017.jpg
    Picture 017.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 460

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally that's a Irrigation water shutoff.
You may find something like a fork type shut off tool in the garage.

Last edited:

tomm

Reaction score
the DEEPER valve is the drain, the shallower hole is the main turn on.

You may have other drains throughout the yard.

You may donate $19.99 for my advice :D

RoughDobermann

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I guess that I'll just leave it alone. This valve doesn't need to be closed during winter, right? I live in Colorado and I had my system blown out at the end of every system. My old house didn't have one of these, as far as I know.

tomm

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I guess that I'll just leave it alone. This valve doesn't need to be closed during winter, right? I live in Colorado and I had my system blown out at the end of every system. My old house didn't have one of these, as far as I know.

Where in Colorado? I'm in the springs. Yes, you should at least turn off and drain system. Blowing out is highly recommended.

RoughDobermann

Reaction score
Where in Colorado? I'm in the springs. Yes, you should at least turn off and drain system. Blowing out is highly recommended.

Highlands Ranch. In my old house, I always at least drained the system in the basement, but I didn't have this "new" valve to worry about.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
Don't abuse your home. Have the sprinklers winterized. Where is the backflow preventer?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

If that is a drain valve, then it would have to be OPENED during the winter time. If it is a main feed valve, the it would be CLOSED during the winter. You would have to know whether it is open or closed right now, to determine what its use is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks