I want to get rid of the dishwasher because I don't ever use it!

Users who are viewing this thread

AFK

Reaction score
I'll probably get a plumber to do this, but will this create problems? My kitchen is tiny so I want to create shelves in place of the dishwasher "hole" so I can move my toaster oven and coffee maker down there so I can have a proper work area in the kitchen by freeing up counter space.

If this is okay, do you guys have any suggestions on getting shelving done professionally? It's such a small job so I'm not even sure if it's something a cabinetry company would do.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I wouldn't bother looking for a cabinetry company. You will more than likely have better luck finding a finish carpenter do do the job.

faucetman886

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
The last house i built had a small kitchen and because it was just my youngest son and me I decided I didnt want a dishwasher and opted for more cabinet space. I was reminded by my builder that I was VERY MUCH a minority in that option because the vast majority of folks buying a home expect a dishwasher. The solution was to plumb the space where the dishwasher would go and had the cabinet that was used instead of a dishwasher made to simply slip out without having to make any structural changes and the dishwasher would fit exactly back in the same space. Sure enough when it came time to sell the house EVERYONE from the listing agent to every person that looked at the house complained that there was no dishwasher. We gave them the simple explanation about the space for it being there and there was no problem. When i sold the house installing a dishwasher was done before the buyers even moved in. To make this long story short...go ahead and remove the dishwasher, put it in the garage or basement and have your shelving unit made so that it is a complete easily removed unit and the dishwasher can just be simply reinstalled. We always think we will never move again but the reality is that we will and you want the best opportunity to resell easily.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Dw

All you have to do plumbing wise is remove or seal the water and drain connections under the sink. Then unscrew the two brackets above the door and pull it out.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Removing dishwaser

all you have to do plumbing wise is remove or seal the water and drain connections under the sink. Then unscrew the two brackets above the door and pull it out.

it is very important to have all connections including the electric properly
sealed off to prevent future problems like electric shorting out or starting a fire under your new shelves,
then have removable cabinet installed !

AFK

Reaction score
I wouldn't bother looking for a cabinetry company. You will more than likely have better luck finding a finish carpenter do do the job.
I don't even know where to begin. Should I just go to the Yellow Pages and find any random carpenter? Or is "finish carpenter" the key phrase here? I live in San Diego so if anyone can give me recommendations, that would be super!

Jastori

Reaction score
You want to find a carpenter who does finish work (trim, built-ins, etc.). Any decent carpenter who does on-site remodeling (kitchen / bath remodels, small interior renovations, etc., should be up to the task. You do not really need a custom cabinet maker, although that person would certainly be plenty qualified as well (likely more expensive).

If you can get any personal references from people you know who have had work done on their own houses, that is always a good place to start. If not, start calling, and describe the work you need to have done. If they are interested, make sure you get multiple references, and follow-up on the references. You could try on-line references like Angie's List.

AFK

Reaction score
I just went on Craigslist and found a couple to call. One is dropping by tomorrow to take a look so he can give me an estimate. He's not licensed but he is AAMA certified. How important is it that the carpenter is licensed? And does it mean anything that he is AAMA certified?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'd be very careful about anyone unlicensed advertizing on craigslist...:eek:
Seems like a great way to meet a con artist...

Cookie

Reaction score
Just a suggestion here buy why wouldn't a base cabinet from Cabinet World or Home Depot wouldn't work?

AFK

Reaction score
i found some potential licensed guys. learned that the key words are "finish carpenter" and "handyman." i'll probably end up opting for a handyman since he can also remove the dishwasher while he's there.

Cookie

Reaction score
Well, I actually had done that with an open spot and used a stock base cabinet for one, and custom ordered another with open shelving and matched the color. Just another way of doing it I suppose. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks