Dishwasher vent install

Users who are viewing this thread

Jwhitman

Reaction score
I am planning to install a vent for the drain line ont he dishwasher. First off it seems odd the vent part has two different size nipples on it. If I am removing the hose from the garbage disposal and putting it to the vent. Thent he other side of the vent to the disposal should the nipples be the same size.
One last question, What is the best metholfd to get a 1 3/8" hole in the stainless steel sink? Is a whole saw the right choice? How about a starter hole and a jig saw. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
J

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
air gap

An electrician's knockout punch is the best way to make the hole. Otherwise a hole saw using a slow drill and coolant. The pipes are different sizes because they do not want more water entering the air gap, than the larger pipe can drain to the disposer. Make the hose from the air gap to the disposer as short and direct as possible, WITHOUT any sags where water would accumulate.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
These work nice too. Just pricey, especially for one time use. Put it on craigslist afterwards.

P66346P.jpg

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Wonder Bread hired me to install new faucets that they supplied and they had custom ¼" thick stainless steal decks made for these faucets. That is when I learned real fast that you need to run the drill at a real low speed and plenty of oil. After I drilled out 3 of the 30 plates one of the plant engineers came up and hooked me up with their plasma cutter, now that was a sweet deal. Finished the other 27 plates in 10 minutes where the first three took me a half hour to do.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Those step drill uni-bits work pretty good.

But, I like my greenlee punches a whole bunch more.

KnockoutPunch.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks