Grounding gas line to panel...

Users who are viewing this thread

deerme

Reaction score
I just moved into a 2 yr old house that has a gas fireplace that's never been used. The gas company won't put in a tank until the gas line is grounded to the electrical box.

I understand I need to get 6 gauge copper wire and attached it to where the gas line connects to the fireplace using a bonding clamp, then run the wire to the panel and attach it to the ground bar. I have some questions about this....

Does the ground wire need to be encased in anything? I'll be putting it through one wall, too.

What do I use to secure the wire along the beam in the basement?

Is there a special way to connect the wire to the ground bar? Do I need to shut off the main breaker prior to connecting to the ground bar? I dont' want to get zapped!

Thanks!

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Is there a special way to connect the wire to the ground bar? Do I need to shut off the main breaker prior to connecting to the ground bar? I dont' want to get zapped!

If you need to ask this question then you should not be doing this job. Call an electrician or read up on home electrics.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Sorry, and I do like DIY so I sympathize with why you are asking. But going into the panel was one of the last things I learnt to do with the electrical tinkering in my house. You really are playing with death in there even with the breaker off (parts of the panel will still be live). That's why the gas company wants somebody qualified to do it.

If you are not absolutely proficient in fitting a new receptacle, rewiring part of a circuit, installing a new light fixture or a switch then you should not be jumping straight into electrical panel work. And if you need to ask what you secure wire with, then you clearly are not familiar with these tasks.

The only thing worse would be having a plumber try to do it...:)

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Sorry HJ, I did not realise you were a licensed electrician as well as a plumber. :)

electrician%20in%20water.jpg

Last edited:

3m

Reaction score
I hold a Plumbing contractor license from the state of Indiana and a Master Electrician license from the city of Evansville Indiana and NO I wasnt grand fathered in so I see no problem with a plumber doing it if HE OR HER knows what they are doing

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
And if that be the case then neither do I Sir.:)

fail-owned-hot-water-fail.jpg

Last edited:

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
First, it's a BOND wire, not a ground wire.

Does the ground wire need to be encased in anything? I'll be putting it through one wall, too.

No

What do I use to secure the wire along the beam in the basement?

Staples....straps....anything.

Is there a special way to connect the wire to the ground bar?

Screwdriver???

Do I need to shut off the main breaker prior to connecting to the ground bar?

YES!!

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
The requirement to bond the gas line is not a NEC requirement but a manufacturer requirement and then only if there is some sort of flexible gas line being used.

If there is a flexible gas line somewhere in the gas piping system then the bonding jumper can land anywhere out lined below;
…shall be bonded to the service equipment enclosure, the grounded conductor at the service, the grounding electrode conductor where of sufficient size, or the one or more grounding electrodes used.

There is no need to open the panel at all.
Install one of these sized for two #6 conductors on the #6 running to the ground rod and the other end to the gas pipe with water pipe clamp. The water pipe clamp must be on solid pipe.

clcik on the blue underlined words

killavolt

In the Trades
Reaction score
Jwelectric, are you getting any flack from electrical inspectors on the use of split bolt connectors? Here in CT, I've run into quite a few that won't allow their use. They claim the split bolts could fail and make us use bypass connectors.

deerme

Reaction score
The requirement to bond the gas line is not a NEC requirement but a manufacturer requirement and then only if there is some sort of flexible gas line being used.

If there is a flexible gas line somewhere in the gas piping system then the bonding jumper can land anywhere out lined below;
…shall be bonded to the service equipment enclosure, the grounded conductor at the service, the grounding electrode conductor where of sufficient size, or the one or more grounding electrodes used.

Install one of these sized for two #6 conductors on the #6 running to the ground rod and the other end to the gas pipe with water pipe clamp. The water pipe clamp must be on solid pipe.

clcik on the blue underlined words

This is VERY helpful information. Thanks!!!

The gas pipe is "Trac Pipe" and you're right, it is the manufacturer that requires the pipe be bonded.

I could call a different gas company and they'd probably come set a tank w/out making me bond the line, but if it's a matter of safety I'd better get it done.

Here's what the manufacturer says. Evidently a lightning strike could create pinholes in the line causing a SLOW gas leak. Doesn't sound good!

Thanks again for your help!

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Jwelectric, are you getting any flack from electrical inspectors on the use of split bolt connectors? Here in CT, I've run into quite a few that won't allow their use. They claim the split bolts could fail and make us use bypass connectors.

I don't have problems from electrical inspectors on anything I do simply due to the fact I am very proficient on the NEC.
Unless the electrical inspector can show me in writing where I am wrong I just send him/her on down the road kicking cans and counting poles.
When a split bolt is installed properly they will not come lose without someone or something helping it to happen. In my years of doing electrical work I do not know of the first one coming lose.

split-bolt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score

Assuming of course that he has access to the GEC.

His house is two years old and would probably have a ufer and it will likely be concealed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks