old fashioned galvanized tub drain cleanout

Users who are viewing this thread

danceswithhammer

General Contractor
Reaction score
I have an old galvanized plumbing system with a tub attached to a drum shaped trap of some kind with a plug that unscrews mounted in the woood floor adjacent to the tub. I assume this is a p trap of some kind. It was probably installed in 1937. Should I keep this or figure out how to remove it and replace with conventional ABS p trap and new drain and overflow? The existing drain and overflow leaks, is corroded, and drain is slow.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
You can change the waste and overflow with out the need to change out the drum trap. I keep the drum trap as long as the plug comes off and the threads in the trap are still good to make a water tight seal when the plug is installed. To clean the drain you remove the plug on the trap and rod the line back to the tube and towards the main drain, usually no more 10 feet away.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree with Sewer Ratz, but if you every do a remodel, get rid of both the galvanized pipe and the drum trap. Those traps are way outdated.

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Sewerratz. See what association with us is doing? You are getting smarter already.

*snickers* Hj I still use plumbers putty, I have a shelf full of 5 lb tubs of sta-put putty. I dislike wax, and really dislike them waxless set ups. Give me putty or a Zurn Neo-Seal or give me death.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
*snickers* Hj I still use plumbers putty, I have a shelf full of 5 lb tubs of sta-put putty. I dislike wax, and really dislike them waxless set ups. Give me putty or a Zurn Neo-Seal or give me death.

Sta-put rocks,but for a W/C flange to W/C seal wax works the the best.
IMO

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Sta-put rocks,but for a W/C flange to W/C seal wax works the the best.
IMO

I have had troubles with wax in many places, where plumbers putty solved the problem. If you said that in front of my sponsor, he would of given you an ear full.

Bet you played with playdoh and silly putty when you were a youngun' too huh, ratz¿

All the time. I loved the stuff. Also when I use to hang out with my dad in his work truck I grab a big ball of plumbers putty and play with it as well. The nice thing about a good plumbers putty is that it did not dry out like playdoh.

SeattlePlumber

Service plumber.
Reaction score
Plumber's putty sounds time-consuming and expensive

...without any real gain in quality. If a toilet is properly bolted and shimmed, wax will last for decades.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
I was asking another guy about the whole putty for setting closets and his take was that the putty would dry out and shrink. We see it all the time on basket strainers that leak.

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I was asking another guy about the whole putty for setting closets and his take was that the putty would dry out and shrink. We see it all the time on basket strainers that leak.

I have pulled water closets that where set with plumbers putty over 10 years ago and they had perfect seals still. Thing is to use a non-drying putty. But if you think about it no matter what you use, wax or putty, over time it will degrade and need replacing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks