Increasing Water Pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

midimid

Reaction score
I just moved into my first townhouse and am noticing a much lower water pressure than all of the apartments I've lived at in the past. Its particularly a problem in the shower upstairs and the toilets don't seem very powerful. Tried removing the shower head's regulator and it hasn't helped. Also tried a brand new shower head.

I've checked all of my water valves and they are fully open.

I found the water regulator - its a Watts N35-B. Per instructions I loosened the lock nut, but I can't seem to turn the pressure screw. In carefully and slowly turning to the right to increase pressure - just a very minuscule amount - I can feel the spring, and when I let go it just shifts back to where it was. Do I need to be turning it harder? Just don't want to break it!

Somewhat related - only one of the toilets has a Governor 80 installed. It constantly hisses (air) and bubbles quite a bit in the tank at the bottom of the device after a flush. If I turn off the water to the toilet, the hissing stops. Is the hissing normal for this device?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
How old is the building, and does it have any galvanized iron pipe in the supply?

You may want to pick up a pressure gauge and measure what you actually have. They only cost about $10. Depending on where you place it, you may need some adapters. You can get it with a hose type fitting on it, but with adapters, can install it on a faucet, etc.

Within a very small amount in a low building, the pressure should be the same any place you test. If it changes considerably from static (no water running) to running, it may just be how the piping was run...the branches may be long, contorted, and too small.

midimid

Reaction score
How old is the building, and does it have any galvanized iron pipe in the supply?

House is only 6 yrs old. Pretty sure its galvanized. I'm pretty sure the pressure is the same throughout the house.

Will pick up a pressure gauge and see where its at. I've seen pictures of an attachable gauge on the back of the Watts NB35.

Again, should I give the pressure screw more force? Is it meant to be really hard to move?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the piping is only 6-years old, I HOPE it's not galvanized! It's probably copper, but there are several different plastic pipes it could be. But, if there's any galvanized nipples (short, threaded sections), those can rust and plug up. You'd probably notice a little rusty water when you start the flow if that was the case. Can't help with the PRV question. The adjustment typically has a lock nut that you must loosen before you can turn the bolt to adjust. You'll get a better reading on pressure if you adjust, then open a faucet, close it then check again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks