Sitting on the lid of a toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

dontwalkhand

Reaction score
If people are going to be sitting on the lid of a toilet to do things such as cutting toenails etc, would a plastic toilet seat be a smart decision? Are the lids on plastic toilet seats strong enough to hold a person? Would we be better off getting the molded wood?

The advantage to plastic is its easier to clean,and is resistant to stains., but when sitting on the lid, it feels kind of flimsy, but not as flimsy as it were to break.

Last edited:

Gusherb94

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I think it depends on the type of plastic seat you get, are downstairs toilet has this seat http://www.bemisseats.com/catalog/retail/index.php?prodid=200SLOW and it's plenty sturdy to sit on and doesnt flex very much, now a cheap 6 dollar seat would flex and sag and probably wouldn't want to sit on one. Our upstairs bath has a molded wood soft close model and that one is very sturdy for sitting and even standing though it is prone to cracking. I would suggest to you the plastic soft-close seat that i pasted the link of.

Jonathan

Achutch

Reaction score
Jonathan,

Tyler the Cat and I have to agree that we approve of your Bemis plastic seat. (See the attached picture). Tyler's bed is a Bemis soft close seat on his (it's no longer mine) Toto Drake. The "furry cover" is changed once a week just my sheets are changed on my bed each Sunday morning. Tyler has gotten his nails trimmed on this seat many times (and is fast asleep there as I type).

When I bought my Drake in October 2005, the plumbing showroom recommended the Bemis soft close seat. I agree that it is a good deal as well as sturdy. The Kohler plastic seat that I bought for my camp in the woods would buckle each time I sat on its lid to put my socks on in the morning after my shower.:( It got replaced with a Bemis wooden seat! You can see it on my Avatar with Tyler on its lid (of the 1952 Eljer)!

achutch

Toto Drake and Tyler.jpg

dontwalkhand

Reaction score
I think it depends on the type of plastic seat you get, are downstairs toilet has this seat http://www.bemisseats.com/catalog/retail/index.php?prodid=200SLOW and it's plenty sturdy to sit on and doesnt flex very much, now a cheap 6 dollar seat would flex and sag and probably wouldn't want to sit on one. Our upstairs bath has a molded wood soft close model and that one is very sturdy for sitting and even standing though it is prone to cracking. I would suggest to you the plastic soft-close seat that i pasted the link of.

Jonathan

I believe what we have right now is a Church, It is flimsy when you sit on the lid.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Church

What type of toilet We are completing a house with six Toto Elongated Drakes and they got the Easy Clean wooden Church seats and they are longer than the bowls by almost 1/2". Calling 'em like I see 'em.

church_585_seat_3.jpg

bemis-color-match-white.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dontwalkhand

Reaction score
Jonathan,

Tyler the Cat and I have to agree that we approve of your Bemis plastic seat. (See the attached picture). Tyler's bed is a Bemis soft close seat on his (it's no longer mine) Toto Drake. The "furry cover" is changed once a week just my sheets are changed on my bed each Sunday morning. Tyler has gotten his nails trimmed on this seat many times (and is fast asleep there as I type).

When I bought my Drake in October 2005, the plumbing showroom recommended the Bemis soft close seat. I agree that it is a good deal as well as sturdy. The Kohler plastic seat that I bought for my camp in the woods would buckle each time I sat on its lid to put my socks on in the morning after my shower.:( It got replaced with a Bemis wooden seat! You can see it on my Avatar with Tyler on its lid (of the 1952 Eljer)!

achutch

What kind of kolher seat? We have the same problem with a Kohler seat downstairs, when people sit on the lid, they say to me that is going to cave in.

Achutch

Reaction score
Kohler Brevia Seat

It was a Kohler "Brevia" plastic seat that replaced a wood (compressed sawdust) seat which cracked while I was seated on it (sounded like a gunshot when it happened :eek:). The salesperson at H.D. was trying to talk me into a Bemis soft closing seat, but I went with the cheaper Kohler Brevia.

You get what you pay for. When I sat down on the lid, it felt like it was going to cave in. Because of the design of the camp (one room, lots of windows, rough wood floor), it's better to get dressed in the bathroom after a shower. I need to sit down to apply my foot spray and to put on my socks. The Brevia seat because of its flimsy lid was unacceptable and got replaced with another Bemis wood seat (and that was 3 years ago)!

achutch

Achutch

Reaction score
There are thin plastic seats and there are thick sturdy ones. You have to pick the one you want to use.

hj,

I'd like to have the choice. What would you recommend for a sturdy plastic seat, and where can I find one?

achutch

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
This is a sturdy seat, but people may not want to sit on it...

barbedwiretoiletseat.jpg

:D

Last edited by a moderator:

dontwalkhand

Reaction score
It was a Kohler "Brevia" plastic seat that replaced a wood (compressed sawdust) seat which cracked while I was seated on it (sounded like a gunshot when it happened :eek:). The salesperson at H.D. was trying to talk me into a Bemis soft closing seat, but I went with the cheaper Kohler Brevia.

You get what you pay for. When I sat down on the lid, it felt like it was going to cave in. Because of the design of the camp (one room, lots of windows, rough wood floor), it's better to get dressed in the bathroom after a shower. I need to sit down to apply my foot spray and to put on my socks. The Brevia seat because of its flimsy lid was unacceptable and got replaced with another Bemis wood seat (and that was 3 years ago)!

achutch

I see, do you have the Bemis with the beveled edge? What I am worried about is when sitting on the lid with just a bare butt, the beveled edge would bother you, but I like the beveled edge style.

Achutch

Reaction score
I see, do you have the Bemis with the beveled edge? What I am worried about is when sitting on the lid with just a bare butt, the beveled edge would bother you, but I like the beveled edge style.

All 4 seats are by Bemis. I have the soft close elongated plastic seat with the beveled lid on the Toto Drake at home (pictured above somewhere in this thread with the cat on its blue furry cover -- it's his favorite bed). This seat won't buckle if you sit on it, and I doubt it would bother you if you sat on it with your bare butt (except I would think that it might feel a little cold).

dontwalkhand

Reaction score
All 4 seats are by Bemis. I have the soft close elongated plastic seat with the beveled lid on the Toto Drake at home (pictured above somewhere in this thread with the cat on its blue furry cover -- it's his favorite bed). This seat won't buckle if you sit on it, and I doubt it would bother you if you sat on it with your bare butt (except I would think that it might feel a little cold).

I see, OK, it looks like the Bemis it is, Plastic with the beveled edge for all of the bathrooms. At least peace of mind that I won't fall in when I sit on the lid is good.

How resistant is it to scratches and the like? Things like buttons from pants, or something falling?

Achutch

Reaction score
I see, OK, it looks like the Bemis it is, Plastic with the beveled edge for all of the bathrooms. At least peace of mind that I won't fall in when I sit on the lid is good.

How resistant is it to scratches and the like? Things like buttons from pants, or something falling?

I think with normal use it will be OK. Shortly after I bought the new toilet and seat, the cat clawed the lid and scratched it. I replaced the seat and then put the cover over the lid. He hasn't tried to scratch it since, and that was over 3 years ago.

dontwalkhand

Reaction score
I think with normal use it will be OK. Shortly after I bought the new toilet and seat, the cat clawed the lid and scratched it. I replaced the seat and then put the cover over the lid. He hasn't tried to scratch it since, and that was over 3 years ago.

Those covers really don't stay on plastic lids that well because of the hinges, are you using the cover with the Bemis seat?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks