Connecting the dimmer switch to the nuetral line?

Users who are viewing this thread

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Well, for one it is a serious code violation and has been for MANY years.

Having the hot side hot all the time is only half the issue. With the neutral switched the neutral is also hot as it is being backfed through the load to the switch. So anyone working on the circuit (like him I bet) without shutting it off completely could be in for a (possibly deadly) surprise.

If he is this insistent on doing something so stupid and wrong I would be suspect what other violations he is adamant about creating. :rolleyes:

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
The old codger insists on connecting the dimmers/switches to the WHITE/NUETRAL wire and not the black/hot.

I suppose the end result is the same as it pertains to breaking the circuit
As to functioning it should make no difference. The dimmer, source and load won't "know" it.

killavolt

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you have a black and a white wire (only) coming into the box the switch was mounted in you have a switch leg coming in. The white wire should have been identified as such and marked accordingly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks