Sawzall

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
It looks like I am going to need one of these to cut through old metal window frames to get them out.

Any recommendations on a tool for the job or will any do?

Big? Small? Cordless? Wired?

What blades?

All tips most gratefully received.

I want one that makes cutting as easy as drilling holes in concrete with a rotary hammer drill.

Last edited:

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have three reciprocating saws in my box. An 18v cordless DeWalt, a 15 amp corded Milwaukee Super, and an old corded Black & Decker with a saber grip. The Black & Decker only gets used when the saber grip makes the job easier, which isn't very often.

I've had the DeWalt for about four years now I think. Great for when a cordless tool is the best option. Will "cook" a battery if you let the charge get to low and try to push the tool. Run time is pretty low if you are working the tool hard. The tool of choice for putting a fresh cut on the Christmas tree every year. The wife occasionally uses it to prune trees. A medium duty tool.

The Milwaukee Super is a beast of a tool that strikes fear in the hearts of carpenters everywhere. In other words, you can do some serious demo work with it. I've used it to cut cement block and concrete embedded with rebar. Highly recommended.

Both the DeWalt and the Milwaukee Super will cost you about the same. If I could only have one, I'd buy the Milwaukee.

I like Lennox Gold blades for most jobs. If I need a carbide coated blade I usually go with a Bosch.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll try to find a Milwaukee Super 15 amp then.

What blades would you recommend for cutting stubborn metal window frames?

The carbide ones?

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Milwaukee's the right choice.

There's blades specifically for steel (fine toothed instead of rough).

Pretty sure they're just regular bi-metal (steel & cobalt), I haven't bothered with the fancy blades before.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Saber saw

My Milwaukee SawZall hardly ever gets taken out of its case anymore. The DeWalt 18 volt cordless does EVERYTHING that needs to be done. Two batteries and a 12 volt charger for the truck takes care of longevity.

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
Two batteries and a 12 volt charger for the truck takes care of longevity.

I really like my DeWalt too. The only issue I noticed until I let my helper get his hands on it was that the blade clamp would occasionally hang up.

My helper, on the other hand, quickly discovered that if you work the tool too hard with a battery that is getting low on charge you will overheat the battery, which will now no longer take a charge. A $60 mistake. The second time he did this, I took away his cordless privileges.

I imagine that anyone with a minimum of tool competency would not experience this problem.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Thanks guys but I am still tempted by the electric model. It's gonna have to work hard to get these frames out. I doubt a battery could cut the mustard.

Seen a good price on the 15 amp one as well...$149

Last edited by a moderator:

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
My Milwaukee SawZall hardly ever gets taken out of its case anymore. The DeWalt 18 volt cordless does EVERYTHING that needs to be done. Two batteries and a 12 volt charger for the truck takes care of longevity.

That's funny. I'm in the same exact situation.

The only time I pull out the milwaukee is when I got something heavy duty to do. And boy is that tool powerful.

After strong winds hit my neighboorhood, I saw a guy cutting a tree trunk with it about 18" in diameter.

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
Thanks guys but I am still tempted by the electric model. It's gonna have to work hard to get these frames out. I doubt a battery could cut the mustard.

Seen a good price on the 15 amp one as well...$149

For that metal frame a cordless could definitely do the trick. I have 18v dewalt and it does everything I need. If you already have a cordless set with batteries, then you could probably just buy the bare cordless tool without the batteries for cheaper.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Ah, now I am just confused.

Is the Milwaukee just too much of a brute for metal windows?

At least we've narrowed it down to two!

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I have just bought the Milwaukee. These things are coming out!!

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Jesus Christ, what have I done?

It's a beast.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Millwaukees are fun....

I would rather have the milwaukee with the power cord any day over the crummey dewalt sawzzalls....

You will be happy with that one...

The reason I dont like the Dewaults is nothing gripes my ass more than having to buy a new battery for the tool that
costs almost as much as the tool iteslf..

I like the dewault battery operated drill for sheet metal work on waterheater flu pipes and I have their flash lights... but nothing larger.....

you can actually buy a full drill kit with two batteries included for that the batteries alone cost you... I got three drills still new in boxes laying around here...

What did you pay for your new sawzall beastie???

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Thanks Mark. I paid $149

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks