Disposal leak

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I installed an Insinkerator Evolution disposer over the weekend - no apparent leaks at the the time but now has a small leak which seems to be coming from the flange. I used plumber's putty when putting in a new flange, tightened the screws evenly, etc. so not sure what's going on.

Before I pull the unit and reinstall it, any suggestions? The instructions do call for plumber's putty, not silicone, and I have a cast iron sink. Do folks usually still use plumber's putty? Any other hints to get it leak free?

Thanks.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I use putty and never have problems...

Double check the locking ring make sure the 3 lugs are engaged and that it is tightened all the way. It's easy to miss alug and most people don't tighten them all the way.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
You might want to use a jack to help lift the unit in place :p Sorry couldnt resist posting this picture.
104_0211.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
jack

Why would it be a good idea? You can buy a disposer jack, but it would just be one more thing you would have to find a place for in the truck. My knee is the only jack I have to use.

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Why would it be a good idea? You can buy a disposer jack, but it would just be one more thing you would have to find a place for in the truck. My knee is the only jack I have to use.

I posted a link about the disposer jacks that Marco makes and sells in the other thread. It is funny that you say another thing to find a spot to keep it in the truck. I started out in a large dully Chevy with a compartmented utility body, went to a Chevy S10 then to a Full size pick up with a ARE uber tall cap, to a extended wheel bas Chevy van and now I am in a extra tall extra long sprinter van. In all reality I probably could work out of a mini van and be happy, but then I start getting jobs that needs the tools I had to leave in the garage, or need to transport an 80 gallon water heater. Kind of wish I can have both worlds a nice small service van, heading out repairing faucets and testing RPZs, but then I like to rod out sewers and do sewer repairs.

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Mainlines and interceptors.... The smell of money!

Flood controls. WHOOT! Just found out that Naperville the city I live in is reimbursing home owners 100% for the cost to install a flood control or over head sewers. Thing is they have to be on a block that has constant city sewer back ups to qualify.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
You might want to use a jack to help lift the unit in place :p Sorry couldnt resist posting this picture.
104_0211.jpg

Don't laugh - kept leaking majorly even after resetting the flange with fresh plumber's putty and attempting to seat the disposer on the flange 3 times. Like Redwood said, must have kept missing one of the lug ears. I finally broke down and got out the scissors jack from the car and it worked.

Maybe I'm a weenie but trying to hold a big, heavy Insinkerator Evolution Excel in place with one hand while turning the lug wheel with the other just wasn't working out.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Just as long as he didn't do the rest of the job like the guy who used the jack it should be okay...

104_0223.jpg

Hmmm...
How about if you post a pic...:D

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
jack

I put my knee under the disposer and lift it with that. That way I have two hands to position the lock ring, and I do not have to hurry before my arm gets tired.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Embarrased to say but I learned this trick to install disposals from The Family Handyman. It was like using your knee but your foot. It worked great then one day I was too busy and held it in place, was not as awkward as before and I no longer use the foot! lol :eek:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks