Perfect Flame GSN3318N

Users who are viewing this thread

rbest23

Reaction score
I have a GSN3318 propane grill from perfect flame. It has 4 main burners, a side burner and a back burner for the rotisserie. I want to convert this to natural gas but I am having problems getting correct orifice sizing. Perfect flame makes a natural gas version identical to what I have and when I contact the company to get replacement parts all they could tell me is the parts are out of stock. Look for direction on what drill size I need and where to get replacement orifice blanks in the event I screw up, not that I will. Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
orifice

You probably WILL screw up if you do not have a set of orifice drills, and they are not cheap. One way would be to use the drills to find out the LP orifice size and then use a conversion table to find the proper natural gas size for that same btu.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The jets are fairly common parts, but as mentioned, you MUST also change the regulator. If you know what number they are supposed to be, a good plumbing supply store and maybe the big box stores will carry them. The number of burners is not a good guide to the size of the pipe you need...you need to know how many BTU the thing can create when all are on.

rbest23

Reaction score
Would any regulator for nayural gas do? I mean one used for BBQ's

The jets are fairly common parts, but as mentioned, you MUST also change the regulator. If you know what number they are supposed to be, a good plumbing supply store and maybe the big box stores will carry them. The number of burners is not a good guide to the size of the pipe you need...you need to know how many BTU the thing can create when all are on.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yea sure why not...
It's not like anything can go wrong is it...

explosion-at-farm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
My last grill had a data plate on it that listed the jet size for both NG and propane. The conversion was fairly straightforward...unscrew the propane jets, screw in the NG jets, and replace the regulator, then hook up the gas line.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Jim, that's fine and dandy but this is on a whole other tangent. Drilling out orifices, slapping on a regulator from some other unit... Remember what happened with Frankenstein¿ :p

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Yes, propane and NG operate on two different supply pressures. Propane is a denser energy content gas, operates at a higher pressure, and therefore needs a smaller orifice in the jet. Drilling out a jet and getting the proper size is not as simple as just making the hole bigger with a common drill bit. Ensuring the hole is exactly the right size and there are no burrs, etc. is critical to proper operation. Get it wrong, either with the jet size or regulator and you can have a very dangerous situation.

If you know the jet size required, you can find them from other suppliers than the original manufacturer (who almost certainly didn't make them themselves). Know the amount of BTU's required, and you can find a regulator that will work safely. Getting it all together in a safe operating condition takes care and attention to detail.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks