villeroy and boch

Users who are viewing this thread

villeroy

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with a villeroy and boch twist toilet? I think they are fairly new, and I can't find any reviews. Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Nothing new about Villeroy & Boch in business from 1748. It's clearly a Foo-Foo designer company. The website is clearly nothing but sales related info with nothing about repair. The question I always have with Foo-Foo is parts availability! When your Foo-Foo crapper craps out what do I have to do to get the parts it needs? If it's the only toilet in the house and you're waiting for a part to ride across the big pond on a slow boat this could be a big problem. Hopefully, it uses stock off the shelf parts but the website gives no information as to what is inside the tank and where local distributors are.

I would check with your local distributor and see what is inside that tank and if the parts are available. Common off the shelf parts is good, propietary parts available only through Villeroy & Boch is bad.

Onycomosis

Reaction score
Villeroy,

Did you ever find out more about the Twist toilet?

We are looking at the Twist as it has the shortest length we can find, but want to make sure it works properly.

Thanks for your help!

Onycomosis

Reaction score
Does any one have any experience with Villeroy & Boch toilets in general? I already purcahsed a Toto based on their reputation for quality, but this V&B can save over 3" of space in a 5'6" bathroom.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Tomw

DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Does any one have any experience with Villeroy & Boch toilets in general? I already purcahsed a Toto based on their reputation for quality, but this V&B can save over 3" of space in a 5'6" bathroom.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

3" where? The V&B Twist is is 29.25" from the wall to the front of the bowl the wall.

5C0201_5D02U1.gif

I just measured my American Standard Cadet 3 and it measures about 29" and it is 4" shorter in height.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

THe LENGTH of the toilet means nothing. The important dimension is from the center of the bolts to the front of the bowl. THAT will determine how far it projects into the room.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That thing looks really small - more like a kids toilet. You should probably look at one before ordering it. Full-size people might have a problem with it.

Tom,
The size looks like a normal round toilet to me..

Tomw

DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Tom,
The size looks like a normal round toilet to me..

That's what I thought at first, but the dimensions don't seem to add up. The toilet is 24 7/8" from the back of the tank to the front of the toilet. A standard round front toilet seat is 16.5" from the front of the bowl to the bolt holes. The tank is 8.25" wide. If you subtract 16.5 from 24 7/8, you get 8.375" which would put the bolt holes for the seat within 1/8" of the front of the tank. Looking at the scale drawing, the bolt holes don't look that close.

I doesn't seem to make sense, since I thought all round front toilet seats were a standard size.

Onycomosis

Reaction score
I too was curious how the overall size could be shorter and prepared the dimensional comparison below to the Eco Darke (another small round front toilet). Note the dimensions are approximate (+/- 1/8"). It seems V&B shrinks all the dimensions slightly from front to back. By the way, this is a standrad 12" rough in.

Besides the size, does any one have any experience with the operation of V&B toilets? It seems like a high end brand, but gaining a few inches will not help if the toilet does not work the way it should.....

Thanks for all you help.

Attachments

• toilets - compare.jpg
    toilets - compare.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 29,528

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I have never seen one, nor, installed one, and I don't know who carries them around here...

I have 2 places that I could think of that would have similar items in their lines carried...

A visit to either of them does not happen on a good day...

But it does happen when Foo-Foo enters my life...

Usually it entails being sent to repair an Item that is hard to identify...
Hard to find out parts information on...
Hard to find out where to get parts...
A long drive to get the parts...
Unusually high priced parts...
And a customer that cannot understand why it costs so much to fix their plumbing problem...

I don't like Foo-Foo Crap!
I'd rather have a root canal sans novacaine than have to deal with Foo-Foo Crap!

Yikes

Reaction score
owner's review

Last month I installed a Villeroy and Boch Twist Round Front High Performance toilet in my new small bathroom. My other bathroom has a Toto Drake (elongated), and my previous house had a (even shorter) Kohler Rialto. Here’s my impression after one month of operation:

1. It is a good-looking toilet, in terms of its rounded lines and shape, concealed trapway, etc. The quality of the porcelain is quite good, and the flush handle looks solid, and goes well with our other contemporary bath hardware.
2. Yes, it is short - - that’s why I bought it! It is not a “kid-size” toilet, but its sitting proportions and hole opening are probably more similar to an airplane toilet (but with better headroom!) or a WC on a houseboat. If you are used to an elongated toilet, then I would say that this short toilet looks good and gets the job done, but it is not intended to be that kind of place where you sit and read for a long time. The water surface area is relatively small compared to an elongated toilet - -in this regard it reminds me of other upright European toilets, or perhaps the shorter American toilets that we used to see in builder-quality homes from the 1930’s-1950s.
3. The initial factory setting for the flush was a little underwhelming. (I don’t remember for sure, but I think it was supposed to be set per California regulations at 1.26 gallons per flush.) The water swirled but did not have a significant final “flush” moment, until we made a simple adjustment to slightly increase the water level in the tank. I’ve gotten used to the Toto’s dramatic “swoosh” of water. I had forgotten that many toilets flush via swirling (as does this Twist) instead of “swooshing” like the Toto. Thus the Twist seems a little anemic by comparison; but, it gets the job done, and I’ve never had to flush twice to remove solids, and I’ve never had it plug up (both of which were common occurrences on my old 3.5 gpf Kohler Rialto).
4. Both the Twist and the Toto Drake have a tendency to leave (ahem) “skid marks”. A second flush will get rid of the evidence in both these toilets.
5. Very minor issue: the initial installation of the Twist was a little difficult for my plumber. He has very big fingers, and the full skirt around the base of the toilet + the small space of my bathroom left him not much room to maneuver.
6. I put my toilet as close to the back wall as possible (basically, the 12” rough in). I have 5/8” thick baseboard on the back wall, and the full skirt of the toilet came right up next to it.
7. Regarding the "foo-foo" factor: the parts inside the tank were fairly standard in nature, and will be easy to obtain should the need arise. The only unique part is the gentle-close seat, which is proportioned to match the bowl. I don't think another generic round-front seat would fit as well.

Summary: I would definitely purchase it again, and would recommend it where space is an issue. I also prefer it for aesthetics and performance more than the Kohler Rialto that we had at our previous home.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks