New Bathroom Fan Timer Switch

Users who are viewing this thread

draven8795

Reaction score
So I bought a bathroom fan timer switch that requires a neutral and I only have a black and a white (hot) and a ground as its the end of the line. Power line goes to the fan then the switch. I'd like to try and use this switch. Is there a proper way to pull new line to gain the neutral I need? Thanks for the suggestions.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The proper way would be to replace the 2 wire switch loop from the fan (or a jbox near the fan) to the switch with a 3 wire and wire the black hot, red switch leg and white neutral.

You can also get a 2 wire timer.

draven8795

Reaction score
Could you provide the wiring diagram for that?

I thought about the two wire switch but it wouldn't match the other switches I have in my house for lighting.

The fans got its own junction box so I can just tape the new line to the 2 wire line and pull it through.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
The fans got its own junction box so I can just tape the new line to the 2 wire line and pull it through.

how many times has this been tried???????????????

if the two wire cable has staples I do not think this will be possible

draven8795

Reaction score
how many times has this been tried???????????????

if the two wire cable has staples I do not think this will be possible

Well which are you refering to - running a 14-3 line to a 14-2 line or pulling the cable? I have no clue thats why i'm asking the questions on the forum.

True I might not be able to pull it through as easily as i thought doesn't mean I cant just fish the new line in and disgard the old one. Or just yank it out.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Basically, you need a 14/3 new cable from the fan's box to the switch location...how you get it there is the issue. It's unlikely you can use the old one to pull the new one in if it was installed with the proper clamps or staples.

draven8795

Reaction score
Basically, you need a 14/3 new cable from the fan's box to the switch location...how you get it there is the issue. It's unlikely you can use the old one to pull the new one in if it was installed with the proper clamps or staples.

Yea I understand that. I'm remodeling the bathroom at some point soon (but not to soon) I can just bypass the current line and use fish tape to pull the new one and when I remodel I can remove the old one and fasten the new one properly. I just need a little more help on what to connect on the 14-3 to the 14-2 wire.

JWelectric

Reaction score
Yea I understand that. I'm remodeling the bathroom at some point soon (but not to soon) I can just bypass the current line and use fish tape to pull the new one and when I remodel I can remove the old one and fasten the new one properly. I just need a little more help on what to connect on the 14-3 to the 14-2 wire.

This has already been answered here

The proper way would be to replace the 2 wire switch loop from the fan (or a jbox near the fan) to the switch with a 3 wire and wire the black hot, red switch leg and white neutral.

You can also get a 2 wire timer.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
At the fan, hot black to black of 14/3. White to white. Red to black of fan. At the switch, white to white, black to one side of the switch and red to the other. Essentially, you are running the neutral to the new switch, and substituting the black and red for the black and white of the old cable.

JWelectric

Reaction score
That seems like a lot of extra work just so you don't have to flip a switch when leaving the room

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I am a big fan of the exhaust fan timers. Sometime you want to let the thing run for a while after.....well...after you are done. The ones I use have the 5,10,15,20 minute settings.

Take apart the jbox on the fan and see what you have in there. They are generally really small so there may be another jbox in the mix.

Post the results and we can guide you through it.

IF the 120V hot power is in the fan jbox, simply replace the two wire cable leading to the switch with a 3 wire cable.

In the fan Jbox, wire the black to black, whites to whites, and red to the ex fan (the black lead going to the receptacle)

TURN OFF THE POWER. The fan MAY have energized conductors in it even though the switch is off.

draven8795

Reaction score
This has already been answered here

I thought what they were refering to was how to wire up the actual switch not the new 14/3 line

That seems like a lot of extra work just so you don't have to flip a switch when leaving the room

My house, My switch, my time.

I am a big fan of the exhaust fan timers. Sometime you want to let the thing run for a while after.....well...after you are done. The ones I use have the 5,10,15,20 minute settings.

Take apart the jbox on the fan and see what you have in there. They are generally really small so there may be another jbox in the mix.

Post the results and we can guide you through it.

IF the 120V hot power is in the fan jbox, simply replace the two wire cable leading to the switch with a 3 wire cable.

In the fan Jbox, wire the black to black, whites to whites, and red to the ex fan (the black lead going to the receptacle)

TURN OFF THE POWER. The fan MAY have energized conductors in it even though the switch is off.

Thanks for the response thats the response I was looking for. I put the new fan in (replaced old one) so I know the wire going to the fan is hot. What does the red wire hook to in the fan jbox then? I got a timer with 10, 20, 30, 60.

JWelectric

Reaction score
may i ask where did you guys learn all these info? just by reading?
clear.gif

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express last night

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
clear.gif

I went to school and was taught by the guys that went to school before me.
And on the job training plus 20 yrs of doing this type of work.
Whats your excuse?

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
What does the red wire hook to in the fan jbox then?

Focus :rolleyes: :D

In the fan Jbox, wire the black to black, whites to whites, and red to the ex fan (the black lead going to the receptacle

Think of the circuit. Follow the circuit.

The power come into the fan on the black wire.
It travels to the switch on the black wire.
It comes back from the switch on the red wire.
it goes to the fan recep on the black wire.
When the fan is plugged it, it travels thru the motor and out the white, thru the recep into the jb and back to the panel.

I'm old. I know stuff.

JWelectric

Reaction score

What I love so much about these DIY sites is that someone who can't grasp the idea of a simple single pole switch but yet we are going to tell that person how to be messing with enough energy to kill theirself.

After the second post the only advice this person should be getting is------Hire an electrician before you do some damage

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks