Need a plug for a basement floor drain

Users who are viewing this thread

mortimer

Reaction score
I have a cast iron drain in the basement floor that has a hole for running a snake down the line. The hole is a bit over 1-1/2" and not threaded. I'm thinking of using a cone made of rubber or cork to plug it when not needed. Any ideas on where to get or what the part is called?

mortimer

Reaction score
My question would be why, if it is really a cleanout point, DOESN'T it have a thread in it?

The drain is 50 years old. It might have been threaded at one time. The normal water flow is below the clean out.

Let me see if I can find a picture...

mortimer

Reaction score
I haven't been able to find a good picture. It is called a floor drain with concealed cleanout. This picture is somewhat similar except: 1) Trap is about 30 feet to the right and 2) pipe continues to left of drain.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Here in Illinois it is pretty common for the clean out in a basement not to have threads in it, they install a expansion plug instead. They do make expansion plugs that are flush at the top so not to be a trip hazard. They also make a plug we call a "Dickie" plug also known as a cone plug has a rubber insert with coarse threads that inserts into the pipe and the plug which is cone shaped as it threads the tapper pushes the rubber against the wall for a tighter seal.

http://www.missionrubber.com/Products/TConeStoppers.php

tcscp.gif

mortimer

Reaction score
Here in Illinois it is pretty common for the clean out in a basement not to have threads in it, they install a expansion plug instead. They do make expansion plugs that are flush at the top so not to be a trip hazard. They also make a plug we call a "Dickie" plug also known as a cone plug has a rubber insert with coarse threads that inserts into the pipe and the plug which is cone shaped as it threads the tapper pushes the rubber against the wall for a tighter seal.

http://www.missionrubber.com/Products/TConeStoppers.php

tcscp.gif

Sweet. That was what I was looking for. Now to find someplace that sells them. Thank you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks