Tying into combined sewer

Users who are viewing this thread

Smock511

Reaction score
Hi- I have a house that has a combined sewer system with the downspouts draining into the main sewer. I need to create a new sewer line that will service a outbuilding and I'm wondering if I can tie into the exterior downspout instead of drilling through the main house foundation to get at the main sewer stack. Any thoughts? Thanks

Nate R

Reaction score
There ARE some cities that have combined sewer systems.

There are parts of Milwaukee that have old sewers (Pre 1930) that run both sewage and stormwater. It's been a problem here because the stormwater surges are beyond the capacity of the sewage treatment plants.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
The city of Chicago has combined sewers as well. But to answer your question, No you can not tie into the down spout line You need to tie into the building sewer which is where the building drain leaves the building for your out building, and that is only if your local plumbing code will allow you to connect a out building drain to your homes sewer.

The illistration below will show the difrance between a building drain and a building sewer.

07700890ZZ9996bfR.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sewer/drain

IF the out building is at the rear of the property, and the house SEWER is at the front, AND the house DRAIN runs back to a point where the new drain line can be connected to it, THEN the pipe can be connected there. But downspout lines may not be configured properly to be an adequate, or desirable, connection point.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
IF the out building is at the rear of the property, and the house SEWER is at the front, AND the house DRAIN runs back to a point where the new drain line can be connected to it, THEN the pipe can be connected there. But downspout lines may not be configured properly to be an adequate, or desirable, connection point.

I would check with local codes.

There are towns here that will not allow the out building be hooked up to the building drain what so ever, but will allow it to be tied into the building sewer. There are other towns that want a whole new sewer ran to the city sewer and a new stub tapped into the city sewer for the out building. Very few towns around here including the city of Chicago will let you tie into the building drain of the main building. Every town, city , county, deals with this issue their own way so its safer to ask the building department of your township.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks