Leaking Eljer Touch-Flush

Users who are viewing this thread

liftereyes

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have an old Eljer toilet that I cannot get to stop leaking around the tank ball valve seat. It seems, if I shut off the water supply, the level will slowly seep down to about half the tank then stop.

I am unsure of the exact model it is but it uses this type of flapper and 'Jun 23, 1971' is imprinted on the tank. I have replaced the tank ball and flush assembly once before and that stopped this leaking for a few weeks but then it returned.

Anything I may be missing?

Thanks in advance.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Ah the Eljer Touch Flush...

There is a molded overflow in the tank.
The bowl refill (Primer) tube pours water down this opening to refill the bowl.
There should be a bracket that holds the tube above this opening so it does not extend down into the opening.

If the tube is down inside the opening it will siphon water from the tank into the bowl until the bowl drains down to the level of the tube...

In your case about halfway...

eljertouchflush.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Ah the Eljer Touch Flush...

There is a molded overflow in the tank.
The bowl refill (Primer) tube pours water down this opening to refill the bowl.
There should be a bracket that holds the tube above this opening so it does not extend down into the opening.

If the tube is down inside the opening it will siphon water from the tank into the bowl until the bowl drains down to the level of the tube...

In your case about halfway...

Redwood nailed it. Eljer touch flush is very common around here in the older homes. I have a few of the OEM rebuild kits on the truck.

eljer_old_tank.jpg

korky-62.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

liftereyes

Reaction score
Nailed it for sure. I'm both blown away how you guys knew that right away and pissed off at how easy that was! Haha!

Thanks again guys!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Nailed it for sure. I'm both blown away how you guys knew that right away and pissed off at how easy that was! Haha!

Thanks again guys!

It's the been there done that factor....
Some lessons are very easy to remember because they blow you away so hard...

Now next time you are looking at a leaking toilet you'll be checking out the placement of the refill tube won't you?:D

Rustypipe

Reaction score
Dusting off this old post on an old toilet. I just repaired a similar touch-flush toilet and thought I would add some more information here and an example model number. In my case:

191697 ("Pat. No") 1968
5540 Tank lid 1969

The ball was bad and the replacement was a Korky 425. The 425 is also a part of the 62/62bp which also includes the arm but I couldn't find that available locally (but didn't need it).

korky-425.jpg

Korky 425

Eljer had recommended getting parts from this site on plumbingsupply.com Home/Toilet Repair Parts/Eljer Toilets Parts Finder/Touch Flush Repair Parts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks