Why won't garbage disposal reset?

Users who are viewing this thread

Blumengarten

Reaction score
The garbage disposal got over-filled and stopped. I cleared everything out of it, pressed the reset button, and turned it on. I could hear the engine whirring, but not engaging. I checked to make sure there was nothing left inside, I couldn't feel anything, I unplugged it, pressed the reset button, turned it on, and same result. Do you know what's the matter?

Thanks,
Joy

reset-switch.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
It is jammed. Turn it off and use the tool that comes with the disposal and insert it in the socket in the bottom of the unit and give it a few good turns. Remove the tool, then try running it again. The tool looks like this.

disposalwrench.jpg

Garbage_Disposal_Jam_Wrench.jpg

garbage-disposal-br.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
disposer

There is no "engaging". If the motor runs so does the grinding plate. You are hearing the motor "trying" to run and if you leave it on too long the reset button will pop out again. Unjam the disposer and remove whatever is causing the jam before trying to run it again.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Yes thank you! :) I didn't know what that little wrench was for. Thanks for your help!

Awesome, always glad to be of a help. Most people have no idea what that wrench is for. It also serves another purpose for installing and removing the disposal from its flange. I have had home owners call me to tell me I forgot a tool behind.

GDRing.jpg

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Whenever I install a disposer it includes a lesson of how to unjam a disposer.
If I'm sent a call to unjam a disposer the same lesson is also included.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
I was taught to tighten the last space left with a pair of channel lock pliers. Squeeze the two together and drive away.

Blumengarten

Reaction score
Whenever I install a disposer it includes a lesson of how to unjam a disposer.
If I'm sent a call to unjam a disposer the same lesson is also included.

That's a good policy! Your customers surely appreciate it! (I'd feel silly calling a plumber to unjam a disposer, I'm so glad I found this website!)

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
I've had some that were a real bear to unjam. One had a brad nail in it. That sucker took some ingenuity to finally get out.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That's a good policy! Your customers surely appreciate it! (I'd feel silly calling a plumber to unjam a disposer, I'm so glad I found this website!)

I consider it to be an important part of taking care of the customer.
Maybe a good reason to use my services again when really needed.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
I consider it to be an important part of taking care of the customer.
Maybe a good reason to use my services again when really needed.

I need to work on this more often. Sometimes when a job goes fast there can be time to educate the customer. Just gets hard when you're late for the next customer.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I need to work on this more often. Sometimes when a job goes fast there can be time to educate the customer. Just gets hard when you're late for the next customer.

An educated consumer is my best customer.
Besides I consider the rates we charge for unjamming a disposer to be a tad bit on the steep side.:D

Cookie

Reaction score
A plumber taught me that, lol.:p
Granted my blades are so sharp that they can't cut up lettuce, but, it is not jammed either. :)

Let Cookie educate you.

Cookie's School of DIY Plumbing.

I got some other tricks. Actually, only use the broom trick if it is frozen.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
A broom is universal can be used on all makes and models. :)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks