Question about 3/4 S-Trap

Users who are viewing this thread

Iminaquagmire

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Would this be one? The trap would be that of a 2nd floor shower. The top outlet of the santee would tie into the stack vent in the attic, the bottom into a 90, then run parallel to the joists to the stack ~4 feet away. I know it would be if it downturned directly after the trap outlet, but ~24" away?

Showertrap.jpg

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Any time the trap weir is above the trap arm inlet you have the possibility if creating a siphon. I've never been quite wure who coined the term 3/4 S trap and stuck it to just about any non compliant Trap arrangement. True 3/4 S traps were a cast iron fitting.

Iminaquagmire

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Looks like I'll have to figure out another way to do this. I'm trying to raise the trap outlet so that I can fit a can light under the trap for the shower below. The reason it can't go up higher is that the santee pictured in the model doesn't actually exist, instead there is a double fixture fitting for the drain for the bathtub which can't be moved. I just didn't want to take the time to model the other drain.

I made that in Google Sketchup 6. I haven't tried Sketchup 7 yet but it looks nicer. Both are free but you can buy a pro version for $95. The pro version would be overkill for me, but it may be justifiable for pitching proposal to clients for pros.

Its really easy to learn and there are many "components" such as sinks and cabinets and fixtures that can be downloaded. I don't know how good it would be for pipes, as its kind of difficult to rotate and line up fittings, but for layout and design its great.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
3/4 s

. A true "S" trap discharges vertically. A "P" trap discharges horizontally, and can be considered a half "S" trap. Discharging at an angle between the two, creates a 45 degree angle which is intermediate between a full and a half so it becomes a 3/4 "S" trap.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
I made that in Google Sketchup 6.

I don't know how good it would be for pipes, as its kind of difficult to rotate and line up fittings, but for layout and design its great.

Nice. I'm still learning how to plan layouts isometrically. I'll stick with my 30/60 right triangle for now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks