supply and drain tied together??

Users who are viewing this thread

Brother

Reaction score
I was looking at a rinser that only had one way to to fill it up and one way to drain. it used the same pipe. Now mind you there was (I believe a backup valve?) 2 solonoids that when one is open that let the water in the one going to the drain is closed, and when the drain is open the supply is closed.

The only problem I have is that for a short section about 2ft to 3ft the drain water can be mixed with the supply water, (thats just the residual). I admit im not a plumber, but would this set up be legal?? Even if it was I would not want anything I got with this set up. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Gelo30

Plumber
Reaction score
Hard to figure out. what you elaborate and show some diagram of that.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
rinser

ANY device that had both drain and potable water where they could mix, regardless of how the solenoid valves were cycled, WILL BE ILLEGAL, unless it had very stringent protective devices.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just the thought of supply and drain connected anyway should be a red flag to you. I think if anyone on this forum knew of such a thing, it would be HJ and he obviously doesn't. So, whatever you are trying to do needs at least a Plan B.

Brother

Reaction score
I wish I could put a picture up, dont really know how. this is something Ive found, even though they have a 'electric' solenoid and another valve that suppose to keep the 2 from mixing. But like I said there is just the last little bit of plastic tube (pipe), that a little residual of the drain is left. What is a code I can find to quote to these guys.

Brother

Reaction score
Just the thought of supply and drain connected anyway should be a red flag to you. I think if anyone on this forum knew of such a thing, it would be HJ and he obviously doesn't. So, whatever you are trying to do needs at least a Plan B.

This is NOT something im doing, so no 'plan b' is needed for me. This is just something I ran into and it was installed by a plumber.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
thing

This may be a duplicate or it may not have been posted the first time. There is no legal device which would connect water and sewer together, without some physical gap/barrier, regardless of any valve sequence to keep them separated. And NO amount of drain water in the water line is acceptable, even if it were just some infinitessimal drops.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
thing

That has been the problem from day one, because I cannot visualize any use for this thing, how it was made, or who made it, or more important WHY it was made.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Are we talking about a kitchen fixture?

I saw an in-counter pasta boiling arrangement at a high-end kitchen store once, which appeared to have a solenoid-controlled drain at the bottom. (to fill it you used a swinging pot filler faucet from above.)

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Are we talking about a kitchen fixture?

I saw an in-counter pasta boiling arrangement at a high-end kitchen store once, which appeared to have a solenoid-controlled drain at the bottom. (to fill it you used a swinging pot filler faucet from above.)

I have seen this too, it was a Kohler pasta boiler that was built into a sink that is connected to the drain with a solenoid controlled drain. I could never wrap my mind around how that was allowed having a boiler tied into the sanitary waste system. http://www.designtool.kohler.com/us/detail.jsp?item=241302

Last edited:

Brother

Reaction score
What is this used on?
I'd like to have some clue of what you are talking about.

This is called a 'rinser'. Basically it just fills up a container of water to 'rinse' a
'scope' (doctors tool). This was something that was 'engineered' by a couple of guys, no real inspections or anything!! Even though they claim the 'scopes' are set in a 'solution' that kills all the 'potential' bacteria, and rinser just suppose to cleanse it.

Im just FLABBERGASTED by what I saw. I have never heard of, or even seen where the 'supply' line (no matter how short of a section) is also the 'drain' line.

If anyone can give me ANY CODE that I can quote about this. I will see if I can get some kind of drawing or picture to put up so people can see what im talking about.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
From Illinois Code book

Section 890.1130 Protection of Potable Water

e)Prohibited Connections.
1) Sewage Lines. There shall be no direct connection between potable water lines and lines, equipment and vessels containing sewage. Such connections shall be made only through a minimum fixed air gap.​

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tool

There is no way you can safely or legally include the words, "water", "drain", and "DOCTOR"S tool" in the same sentence without a MAJOR caveat as to how it must be done.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks