Where to locate hand shower and elbow

Users who are viewing this thread

Peter B

Reaction score
My new shower is going to have a fixed rainshower head plus a handshower. The handshower has a wall mounting bracket, but not a rail (wife doesn't want a rail). Where is the best place to mount the handshower elbow? Does it matter if it is above or below where the handshower mounts?

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
My new shower is going to have a fixed rainshower head plus a handshower. The handshower has a wall mounting bracket, but not a rail (wife doesn't want a rail). Where is the best place to mount the handshower elbow? Does it matter if it is above or below where the handshower mounts?

Hi Peter,
I think you'd want to put it horizontally in line with the shower control. The 'elbow' you're referring to is female to a nipple in the wall, and then male threads that are exposed in the bracket, and you screw the hose onto that, yes?

In my case, I did use a rail mounted to the side, but the outlet for the hose I put directly below the shower control.

HE

Attachments

• bathroom renovation and Cats hunting 007.jpg
    bathroom renovation and Cats hunting 007.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 5,828

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You want it located so that you are not going to end up restricting movement and can reach any area you wish with the hand-held. This is somewhat a question of the length of the hose you select, but placement is important, too. You want to be able to reach over your head to get your back without putting strain on the hose and for cleaning up the shower, get close to any corners. You need to balance asthetics and function, so it can take some time to decide. Maybe have one person stand in the space while the other person holds the end to see what works out best. There is no one correct answer to this. Personally, I like the bar since it gives you the ability to adjust the height to the person using the shower from a little person to a basketball player.

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
Grohe hand-held shower hoses are available from 59" to 79", so depending on how low the 'loop' will sag towards the floor compared to where you locate the holder compared to how tall you are and how big the shower area is...............You get what I'm saying?

Good points, Jad.

HE

EuroPlumber

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi Peter, The answers you have gotten so far are good ones. You should also consider this. Plumbing code will require you to install a vacuum breaker or minimum a check valve equipped wall elbow. If you have the vacuum breaker type, the hose will empty through the vacuum breaker if the hand shower is higher than it is when you turn it off. The problem with this is that you allow air into the hose, and when you turn it back on the air escapes out of the handshower quickly but the weater hits the flow restricter at a high rate of speed. That causes stress because it is similar to a water hammer condition. Over time the end of the hose may blow apart. If you need to have a vacuum breaker I suggest it would be best located 16 inches to the right or left of the holder to allow the water to stay in the hose and so the hose will make a nice bend.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks