Help needed with DIY toilet repair!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Lou101

Reaction score
I have a 3 month old American Standard Cadet toilet. The tank suddenly takes several hours to fill with water. I suspect it is related to something I noticed in all the sinks in the house this week.....tiny little grains of sand.
I took off the hose which runs from the shutoff to the toilet. maybe a quarter teaspoon of sand came out of there. I pulled the cap off the top of the ballcock hoping to find some type of filter I could clean but there were just non-removable parts. i poured water down hoping to rinse it but no sand came out. i tried to get the entire assembly off the post but no luck.

Are there any other things i can try? This toilet doesn't look like any of my old ones inside. Maybe i should add that instructions need to be very clear. I am a single mom with four kids just trying to avoid a plumbing bill and i really know nothing about toilets other than changing handles, flappers and arms.

Thanks for any help or advice you may be able to offer.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Cadet uses a Fluidmaster fill valve.

Instructions are here

http://www.fluidmaster.com/pdfs/400a_instructions.pdf

attachment.php

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
and that 400 is very sensitive to sand. I would suggest you have a sediment filter installed in the cold water main or the problem will jusk keep recurring.

Lou101

Reaction score
Thanks for the diagram and the sediment filter suggestion. Where does this sand come from/ i have lived in this house for 16 years and it is the first time i have seen it.

Lou101

Reaction score
Yeah!!! It is now fixed and working thanks to Terry !!

nhmaster, i will look into a filter Thx a bunch.

Lou

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
retire

quote; When I retire, I am going to take it easy and become a commercial plumber.

Maybe you should go into industrial plumbing. Those guys get jobs where they show up in the morning and then disappear for the rest of the day. Or as one said, "I got fired for walking around all day with a blueprint in my hand. The supervisor was jealous of me, and thought I was trying to take his job."

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Maybe you should go into industrial plumbing. Those guys get jobs where they show up in the morning and then disappear for the rest of the day. Or as one said, "I got fired for walking around all day with a blueprint in my hand. The supervisor was jealous of me, and thought I was trying to take his job."

I had one of those jobs once...
I sometimes wonder why I quit...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
?

Quit or reduction in force when they found someone who would loaf for less money. I was working at a Republic Steel rolling mill construction site, and the company supervisor complained to the project superintendant, that "One bunch of guys is walking from the South end to the North end with a bucket of mortar, while another group is walking from North to South with their bucket of mortar. It is like a circus parade and nobody is doing anything." I took my truck out to the "south forty" to wash and wax it while I waited for the backhoe operator to decide to come and dig my ditch.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks