Question about the slope of a 3" line...

Users who are viewing this thread

Southpaw134

Reaction score
is there such a thing as over sloping (too extreme of an angle) an outdoor 3" sewerline?

I assume there isn't, I assume there are some sewer lines that run vertical..., but assuming is, an, umm...big assumption.

Also, if I have a vertical line that I need to connect to a horizontal line is there a minimum or mximum angle of connection between the two (i.e., 45 or 90 degrees)?

Thanks in advance.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
1/4" per foot is a minimum pitch.

The old liquids outrunning the solids is a myth that has been busted.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
is there such a thing as over sloping (too extreme of an angle) an outdoor 3" sewerline?

I assume there isn't, I assume there are some sewer lines that run vertical..., but assuming is, an, umm...big assumption.

Also, if I have a vertical line that I need to connect to a horizontal line is there a minimum or mximum angle of connection between the two (i.e., 45 or 90 degrees)?

Thanks in advance.
As far as I know, there is nothing such as oversloping, unless your talking about a p-trap in proximity to a vent.
The minimum slope between 2 connections is 1/4" per ft or 2% there is no maximum

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Liquids will always outrun the solids. If you flush a toilet with a wad of toilet paper in it do you think that it gets to the city sewer on on flush?

Not a chance!

Infact a sewer relies heavily on other flows to clear the line.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If there were maximum pitch rules then you couldn't run a vertical stack :D

Sewage systems are designed to move waste at 2 feet per second.

quinocampa

Mechanical engineer in marketing. Uhuh.
Reaction score
1/4" per foot is a minimum pitch.

The old liquids outrunning the solids is a myth that has been busted.

I've inspected all of my drain pipes in the crawlspace. My home is only 20 years old, and the entire drainage system is basically flat. The new lines I'm installing are sloped properly, but I wonder why it was done this way. During my bathroom remodel, I've also found a hard vent duct that was crushed to go over the top of a shower drain in a 2nd floor joist bay, soft HVAC ducts in the crawlspace draped over joists 'til they're choked off, and two bathroom fans with no exhaust ducting attached. One of them was blowing directly into insulation, which was right on top of the fan. I've corrected all of these shortcuts. I will defend my right as a homeowner to do my own work when this quality of work is the alternative. Don't even get me started about last year's contracted attic remodeling.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
offset

There is no "code" requirement as to how you make a change in elevation, but the prudent way is to make the transition as smooth as possible. If you have room the best way is to just deflect the pipe, the next best is two 22 1/2 bends, or move on to using two 45's, and if there is not enough space for that, then two 90's is the last option.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drains

In a vertical stack the water actually clings to the inside of the pipe and swirls it's way to the bottom. The center is mostly empty.

Which is why they make "anti vortex" roof drains so the pipe WILL be full and thus can be made smaller.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks