dont need p-trap in vanity drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Zxed

Reaction score
okay so maybe the title is a little misleading...

my double vanity sink came with this "thing" (see attached)... it seems as if this is supposed to work as a p-trap and connect to a stubout/drain... but from what i see, it looks like a 1.25" in and 1.25" out... how am i supposed to connect this to my abs/stubout ?

Attachments

• IMG_0458.JPG
    IMG_0458.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 835
  • IMG_0459.JPG
    IMG_0459.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 886

Zxed

Reaction score
An ABS trap adapter with slip joint washer, and an 1-1/4" tailpiece I assume.

it shall be a long day at home depot... walking through isles and isles.

i dont remember seeing anything smaller than 1.5" .. but i think that was just in the abs section..

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It's a bottle trap...
Not legal under a lot of codes because it relies on an internal partition to provide a trap seal which may corrode and fail but there is no way to know if that has happened.

Zxed

Reaction score
so i need this: abs trap adapter on

so i need a slip joint washer., or is that already included? the black thingy in the attached pic.,

that link points to hdepot., but its blocked :)

Attachments

• IMG_0461.JPG
    IMG_0461.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 760
Last edited by a moderator:

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Well I guess if the stores sell it, it must be legal. Every plumbing code I ever read does not allow that trap. When it comes time to sell the home, it will fail inspection.

I just had to give an estimate yesterday on tearing out all the plumbing the homeowner did 3 years ago and bring it all up to code. It got tagged by a home inspector, and when the plumbing inspector came to see what the deal was he wrote up a 15K fine for this home owner for doing plumbing with out a permit and with out a license. Way the fines work is its 5k for first offense and each violation their after it doubles. So he got hit with 5k for the permit and 10k for not being a licensed plumber.

Moral of my tail of woes to make sure if you do any work check with your local building department about permits and codes. Plumbing codes in most states are the "law" and are enforced as such by "code enforcement officers" which can cost you a whole lot more grief than the few bucks you save. Reason we have these plumbing codes is to ensure the protection of the health to all those in your home as well as the community. And the reason we have licensed plumbers is they studied these codes under an apprenticeship and took the required tests to prove their knowledge. Its just like how doctors have to goto school and intern somewhere before they become full fledged doctors. If we didn't have some sort of system to keep things in check there would be huge epidemics like their was in the dark ages.

I am real glad you all found these forums and are smart enough to ask questions about whats is the right way to do things. Key about doing anything yourself is do it right the first time, and if you are not sure how to do it right ask questions or hire a pro. If you go for the asking questions part please follow the advice given even if you think it might be to hard to do.

Last edited:

Zxed

Reaction score
Well I guess if the stores sell it, it must be legal. Every plumbing code I ever read does not allow that trap. When it comes time to sell the home, it will fail inspection.

I just had to give an estimate yesterday on tearing out all the plumbing the homeowner did 3 years ago and bring it all up to code. It got tagged by a home inspector, and when the plumbing inspector came to see what the deal was he wrote up a 15K fine for this home owner for doing plumbing with out a permit and with out a license. Way the fines work is its 5k for first offense and each violation their after it doubles. So he got hit with 5k for the permit and 10k for not being a licensed plumber.

Moral of my tail of woes to make sure if you do any work check with your local building department about permits and codes. Plumbing codes in most states are the "law" and are enforced as such by "code enforcement officers" which can cost you a whole lot more grief than the few bucks you save. Reason we have these plumbing codes is to ensure the protection of the health to all those in your home as well as the community. And the reason we have licensed plumbers is they studied these codes under an apprenticeship and took the required tests to prove their knowledge. Its just like how doctors have to goto school and intern somewhere before they become full fledged doctors. If we didn't have some sort of system to keep things in check there would be huge epidemics like their was in the dark ages.

I am real glad you all found these forums and are smart enough to ask questions about whats is the right way to do things. Key about doing anything yourself is do it right the first time, and if you are not sure how to do it right ask questions or hire a pro. If you go for the asking questions part please follow the advice given even if you think it might be to hard to do.

thank you.

i have and still go between "to get a permit, or not to get a permit" thought process every day.. the issue i am having is that the inspectors in my city are known to inforce "additional" code upgrades... for ex, you request a plumbing permit, get the permit, get the inspector., gives you the okay for plumbing, writes you up for electrical even thought you are NOT at all modifying anything electrical.... and it isnt as simple as, tie down the wire, a simple $100 plumbing job becomes a $2000 electrical job...

i actually did not buy the bottle trap., it came with the double vanity, i could simply put p-traps in wall..

in CA, bottle traps are only allowed under special condition, inspectors give the yes/no... i guess i could put the ptrap in the wall,. that way even if the bottle trap corroded., the in-wall ptrap would still be there... and if i do get a permit + inspection the in-wall p-trap should pass..?

and i do follow advice given., i did re-do the shower plumbing again to remove a s-trap and flat vent.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You cannot use 2 traps in a row. That would be a double trap which is a real no-no!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You also can not hide a P trap in a wall. It goes directly under the sink or tub being drained. I would trash that bottle trap thing and get a conventional P trap. A vanity uses a 1-1/4" drain often increasing to 1-1/2" at the wall. That takes a simple adapter that should be easily obtained at any store selling ABS pipe and fittings.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
traps

i guess i could put the ptrap in the wall,. that way even if the bottle trap corroded., the in-wall ptrap would still be there... and if i do get a permit + inspection the in-wall p-trap should pass..?

Do that and your next question to us will be, "Why doesn't my new sink installation drain?" And "P" traps for washing machines, tubs, and showers, are almost ALWAYS "hidden in the wall or floor", but that is not a good idea for sinks.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
in CA, bottle traps are only allowed under special condition, inspectors give the yes/no... .

CA 2007 Code, article 1004.0

....No trap that has concealed interior partition, except those of plastic...shall be used. Drum and bottle traps shall be installed only for special conditions.

article 1005.0

Each fixture shall have a water seal of not less than 2" and not more than 4".

Well, the bottle trap in the picture seems to have some plastic in it. I frankly never had occasion to ask for a "special conditions" waiver, so I really don't know if just the aesthetic situation of a pedestal sink is compelling enough to get it approved. Can't tell from the photo if that trap has 2" seal.

I have seen bottle traps for sale in the box stores. Notably they do NOT have an IAPMO , UPC, or other approval seal noted anywhere.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
I do my best work while 1/2 asleep ;)

Are homeowners allowed to even replace faucets & "simple" items ?
Just curious if all plumbing means everything
It seems it would, but I had a hard enough time getting a plumber here to do $3k of work, never mind installing a faucet

Zxed

Reaction score
ok, slept on it., think this is a following is a reasonable conclusion..

the double vanity is from modern bathroom

daytona double vanity

with the stubouts placed in the correct location... will i not be able to use the p-trap or bottle trap whenever i feel like it? :) some cutting/glueing may be required. but nothing a sleve cannot fix?

if there is no design limitation in the vanity, i will use the p-trap. if there is a design limitation (cannot get an extra 4 towels in there) ill use the bottle trap while it works., when im ready to sell (bought the place in 2006, its not going anywhere), i will switch it out for the p-trap... does that solve the problem?

the bigger problem, or more work involved... imo is that the studs in the wall are 4x2's. ... i need to pass the 1.5 drain and vent through them...

are there any code violations in passing a 1.5" thru 2x4's directly in center? i need to go pick up a 1.5" flat bit....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks