New Shower knob wont turn

Users who are viewing this thread

njbill

Reaction score
About a month ago I installed a new moen 3 knob bath faucet set. Yesterday, the center knob that controls the shower diveter is VERY hard to turn. I took the knob off and put it back on and it had no effect.
I have an older home and no real access to the internal stuff, as I just redid the enclosure..
Thanks for your help

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I wonder why people install those when pressure balanced valves are available...

They must be cheaper down at big box...

njbill

Reaction score
ANything else

I wonder why people install those when pressure balanced valves are available...

They must be cheaper down at big box...

So there are no suggestions other than to tear it out. ANything???

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Take the knob off. Pull out the diverter and grease any moving part with clear silicone grease. See if the parts move freely in your hands. Replace everything back the way it was.

Let me know how it turns out

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Monthly?
No,........ one time

How many have you tried to repair.? The ones I have done have had no problems .I may get recalled after 1 year in an area with hard water, but the cartridges are free, diverters are free, hoses are free and so on. So who cares how often you have to replace it or repair it, if the parts are free.

I repaired/greased my moen diverter in my home 4 years ago, and its still going strong

njbill

Reaction score
moen reply

Dear Valued Moen Customer,

Thank you for your interest and support of Moen products. The issue you have described is usually caused by the diverter stem becoming seized within the valve. We have ordered a replacement diverter kit to correct the problem. Unfortunately installation instructions are not provided; however I have attached a parts diagram for your review.

First you will need to pry the cap off of the diverter knob and then use a Philips head screw driver to remove the set screw. Then you will need to unscrew the packing nut and pull the stem out of the valve. You may need to clean inside the valve if you find debris, which may cause the stem to become difficult to rotate. Then install the new diverter and screw the packing nut back on to the valve. Then you can reinstall the handle.

Should you have any questions, you may contact us by email (moenwebmail@moen.com) or phone at 1-800-BUY-MOEN (1-800-289-6636) or visit our website at www.moen.com. Our business hours are 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. Saturday EST. In our continued effort to assist you in the future, we ask that you please retain your original receipt for all warranty claims.

Nick

Moen Consumer Services

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks