Another 4-Inch versus 8-Inch Sink Drill Question

Users who are viewing this thread

RonnyK

Reaction score
Hi,

We are replacing the sink in our very small powder room with a pedestal style where the lav measures 24" x 19". Can someone provide some guidance on whether to go with 4-inch or 8-inch centers on the sink drilling?

Does the 8" refer to the distance between each drilled hole (i.e. the hot tap to the spout is 8" and then another 8" to the cold tap) or is that the measurement between the water taps? Would 8" look out of place in such a small sink and bathroom? Any links to pictures showing the difference would be much appreciated, as well.

Thanks!

RonnyK

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I understand that the choice is up to me when I order the sink, but I was curious about what exactly the 8" (or 4") measurement is between-- valve to valve or valve to spout.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I understand that the choice is up to me when I order the sink, but I was curious about what exactly the 8" (or 4") measurement is between-- valve to valve or valve to spout.

Valve-to-valve. Is that really all you wanted to know? Measuring a few faucets around your house, woulda been quicker than the internet... and google, faster than posting a question on a forum...

Assuming you wanted to know more than that:

Kitchen faucets are generally 8". Bathroom faucets are mostly 4".

If you want a pop-up drain, and the holes are on 8" centers, your options will be very limited. It happened to me once, with an antique sink the client wanted to use. Eventually we found a faucet that came as 3 separate assemblies, connected with flex hoses, so it could can fit any measurement, but it took some looking, and there weren't that many styles with that feature.

If you want the opposite, a 4" center faucet without a pop-up, bar sink faucets are also 4" center.

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
The measurement is the exact center of hole for the cold water to the exact center of hole for the hot water.

These holes should already be predrilled if you are buying a vanity set. If it's custom stone the fabricator does it. If you drilling your own holes(I've never actually drilled my own for vanity, only for widespread faucets on jacuzzi's) make a template. Maybe you could even buy a template. I've never looked but I'm sure they are out there.

RonnyK

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I did look on Google and various websites for pictures and explanations, but the basis for the measurement was not clear to me. My current fixtures are all one-hole.

Frenchie-- I am not sure where you are coming from when you talk about limited choices for pop up drains in widespread fixtures. I have found an abundance of widespread faucets that have pop-up drains.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Often, the scale of the sink will "dictate" the choice.....a small sink would look "weird" with a widespread. But in the end, there are multiple choices, and the final choice is yours.

If you like the spread look, and are working with a smaller scale, Moen has a "mini-spread" which smaller in scale, and has the 3 piece look, but installs on 4" centers.

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I did look on Google and various websites for pictures and explanations, but the basis for the measurement was not clear to me. My current fixtures are all one-hole.

Frenchie-- I am not sure where you are coming from when you talk about limited choices for pop up drains in widespread fixtures. I have found an abundance of widespread faucets that have pop-up drains.

center of first circle to the center of the other. It's straightfoward.

C NUMB

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.ericsmithplumbing.com
or you can do this if there is not enough room between the sink and cabinet base for an 8"cc, not exactly what I would prefer but homeowner loves it and in the end thats all that matters

HB5.JPG

Single hole faucet applications give a much cleaner look as far as I'm concerned.

4" centerset= 3 holes
()---()---()
I-2"-I-2"-I

8" centerset=3 holes
()---- () ---- ()
I--4"--I--4"--I

Hope this helps, btw standard hole drilling is 1 3/8"

Last edited:

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score

3rd hit on google:

http://www.**************.com/faucetindex.html

edit: never mind the link (Terry's censorware is blocking it). See attached picture.

Cheap ones? It was maybe 10 years ago (pre-internet, for me)... all I could find was $250 and up.

Attachments

• kohler-centersetdrain.gif
    kohler-centersetdrain.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 5,363
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks