undercounter lighting

Users who are viewing this thread

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
Depends on if you want to be able to dim them from a single location or dim them at all.

I install individual xenon with the transformer in each unit that has a hi/lo switch. No dimming.

edlentz

Reaction score
I got some inline LED strip lights. A 15" with 21 leds (I think) fits perfectly under the cabinet. They are powered by 110, no transformer. Not dimmable but at about 1 watt per strip we can leave them on forever.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
We used these for years but the price of oil keeps going up and we may go back to dipping strings into wax again.

Oil_Lamp_br15351.jpg

CarlH

Reaction score
I got some inline LED strip lights. A 15" with 21 leds (I think) fits perfectly under the cabinet. They are powered by 110, no transformer. Not dimmable but at about 1 watt per strip we can leave them on forever.

Who makes these? Where can I find them?

Rockycmt

Reaction score
If I choose to go with low Voltage… What is the best install procedure? I want them switched so should I

Countertop switch to an outlet on top of cabinets to power a transformer.

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
If I choose to go with low Voltage… What is the best install procedure? I want them switched so should I

Countertop switch to an outlet on top of cabinets to power a transformer.

If you do choose low voltage, none of the wiring can be concealed in the walls. Makes for a tough clean looking install.

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you do choose low voltage, none of the wiring can be concealed in the walls. Makes for a tough clean looking install.

I don't know that this is entirely correct. As long as the wiring is rated for it you can run it in the wall, yes? What if you used 14/2 romex between the xenon fixtures and transformers. Or what if you used 14 gauge in wall speaker wire?

-rick

JWelectric

Reaction score
411.4 Specific Location Requirements.
(A) Walls, Floors, and Ceilings. Conductors concealed or extended through a wall, floor, or ceiling shall be in accordance with (1) or (2):
(1) Installed using any of the wiring methods specified in Chapter 3
(2) Installed using wiring supplied by a listed Class 2 power source and installed in accordance with 725.130

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
411.4 Specific Location Requirements.
(A) Walls, Floors, and Ceilings. Conductors concealed or extended through a wall, floor, or ceiling shall be in accordance with (1) or (2):
(1) Installed using any of the wiring methods specified in Chapter 3
(2) Installed using wiring supplied by a listed Class 2 power source and installed in accordance with 725.130

Uh, Mike? They're DIYers. I doubt they have a copy of the NEC kicking around. Could you maybe explain, briefly, what's meant by "Chapter 3", "Class 2 power source", and "725.130"?

JWelectric

Reaction score
Uh, Mike? They're DIYers. I doubt they have a copy of the NEC kicking around. Could you maybe explain, briefly, what's meant by "Chapter 3", "Class 2 power source", and "725.130"?

Well then why are they installing electrical circuits for if they don't have a copy of the rules?

I have been doing this for over 40 years and I got to have a copy of the rules to know if it is right or wrong. Are they that much smarter than a old seasoned pro like me?

I suppose that it would be a lot simpler to just go make the installation for them than to try and teach the NEC on a discussion forum but I will give it a go anyhow.

Chapter Three of the NEC is titled;
Chapter 3 Wiring Methods and Materials

This chapter will contain the rules that apply to the wiring methods of all conductors, cables and raceways.
The referral to chapter three in 411.4 means that any of the wiring methods out there and approved for branch circuits would be allowed to be used.

A class 2 circuit is one that is supplied by a class 2 power source and the rules change. They can’t be around circuits that are bigger than they are as they might get hurt. There are about a half dozen conductors listed for the installation of class 2 power limited conductors. Speaker wires are not part of this listing.

I feel as though I must ask you a couple of questions now.
Do you really think that someone would undertake installing something that is sure to cause fires and kill without first doing a lot of research on the proper safety issues?
Surly you don’t think that someone would undertake an electrical installation without first obtaining a copy of the current electrical codes and doing an in-depth study of said codes, do you?

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
Well then why are they installing electrical circuits for if they don't have a copy of the rules?

I have been doing this for over 40 years and I got to have a copy of the rules to know if it is right or wrong. Are they that much smarter than a old seasoned pro like me?

I suppose that it would be a lot simpler to just go make the installation for them than to try and teach the NEC on a discussion forum but I will give it a go anyhow.

Chapter Three of the NEC is titled;
Chapter 3 Wiring Methods and Materials

This chapter will contain the rules that apply to the wiring methods of all conductors, cables and raceways.
The referral to chapter three in 411.4 means that any of the wiring methods out there and approved for branch circuits would be allowed to be used.

A class 2 circuit is one that is supplied by a class 2 power source and the rules change. They can’t be around circuits that are bigger than they are as they might get hurt. There are about a half dozen conductors listed for the installation of class 2 power limited conductors. Speaker wires are not part of this listing.

I feel as though I must ask you a couple of questions now.
Do you really think that someone would undertake installing something that is sure to cause fires and kill without first doing a lot of research on the proper safety issues?
Surly you don’t think that someone would undertake an electrical installation without first obtaining a copy of the current electrical codes and doing an in-depth study of said codes, do you?

The whole idea of forums like this is to assist people

Do I think people should undertake wiring without research?
NO, but that IS what the person is doing

Do I think people will undertake wiring without research?
YES, especially when they receive "assistance" such as yours

You might as well have said: "The answer is on the internet somewhere, go find it"

A better answer would be:

NO, you can't do that see - code such & such
or
YES, you can do that as long as you follow code such & such

AND giving them a link to look up the code, like this:

http://nfpaweb3.gvpi.net/rrserver/browser?title=/NFPASTD/7008SB

That is how people learn
Otherwise they will just ignore code & do what they want
Which is what everyone does NOT want, including the person looking for help

JWelectric

Reaction score
The whole idea of forums like this is to assist people

Do I think people should undertake wiring without research?
NO, but that IS what the person is doing

Do I think people will undertake wiring without research?
YES, especially when they receive "assistance" such as yours

You might as well have said: "The answer is on the internet somewhere, go find it"

A better answer would be:

NO, you can't do that see - code such & such
or
YES, you can do that as long as you follow code such & such

AND giving them a link to look up the code, like this:

http://nfpaweb3.gvpi.net/rrserver/browser?title=/NFPASTD/7008SB

That is how people learn
Otherwise they will just ignore code & do what they want
Which is what everyone does NOT want, including the person looking for help

I understand that you have no way of knowing but I have been dealing with Frenchie for about as many years as you have been walking and the post was really meant as a joke that only me and Frenchie would understand.

But I do thank you for responding.

Cookie

Reaction score
Well, when I said it was on the net, I said it, because it really is. I looked it up. So, the poster would be able to check it out, too, and see for himself what the classes and codes are, not all that difficult to do. Or even read. They are capable of doing that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks