Staircase question

Users who are viewing this thread

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out what to do with a staircase that goes down to my basement. Part of the problem is that there is dirt in direct contact with wood and there has been past termite damage. The other part is at the top of the landing is an exterior door. This is a low point outside and I get water intrusion under the door. I have a termite solution and my thought for the water intrusion is to cap the landing, which is already concrete, with about 2-3" of concrete and then raise the door up the same amount. If I determine the pad on the landing isn't very thick, it will get torn out and totally repoured vs. capping it.

Currently none of the steps are equal heights or depths. The bottom two steps in the basement are cement, the rest are wood.

I am including a quick sketch, I hope it is clear enough, but to help....
The last step, in the basement, is sandwiched between cinder block walls. It stops 5" from the inside edge of the wall. The last 2-1/2" of that step has 74" of headroom, the rest of the tread has more than that. Like I said, there is a door at the end of the landing, so it is 23" from the stairs. There is also a door at the top of the stairs if that matters. The only headroom issues are the last 3 steps in the basement side.

My question is does anyone have a good solution to reworking these stairs? If my math is correct my treads going from landing to main floor will be 8.4" deep(+overhang) and the distance between treads will be 6.67". I think that seems fine and makes them actually less steep, which is good. I have little children.

Then the ones going from landing to the basement will be 8.2" deep and 8.67" between treads. That is a pretty steep step and a 2" height change per step from the other stairs. Doesn't sound safe. Could I add a step to the lower flight?

If I come out 5", to the inside edge of the block wall, that gives me approx. 73.82" of headroom on the last step, and steps with treads of 7.666" and heights of 7.428". Much better. Problem is that puts the edge of the 2nd to last step at 66.22" of headroom. IF I stay at the 41" space I have and add a 6th step, then I have a height of 7.428", but a tread depth of 6.833". Of course if I overhang each tread about 1-1/4", then I have 8"+ of tread width.

What would any of you recommend? Are my figures correct? I'm not overtly concerned with codes as this is an old house and I have to do what I have to do. It will not be inspected!

Also, how hard is it to pour concrete steps? That would drastically help keep the termites at bay. If I pour the steps would it be possible to cap those with oak treads? Thought on that is construction adhesive the heck out of the tread, then drill 3-4 holes and tapcon screw the oak tread to the concrete base. Thoughts??

Attachments

• stairway.JPG
    stairway.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 3,963

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
BTW...that 74" height on the last step is on the last 2-1/2" of the tread.

I can change the headroom on all but the very last step, unless someone has an idea of a way to change that. The sill plate and rim joist are what is in the way, but directly above this area is a built in pantry cabinet, so I am assuming there is a header of some sort above it, but I haven't torn into the wall to find out, but am not opposed to doing that as the kitchen is one of my next projects and this cabinet is going to be completely redone. My big fear on cutting this section out, is I am guessing it also helps somewhat hold the block wall in place.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is a fairly major job and just like plumbing, there are many ways for a DIYer to screw up. In my opinion, you should hire a building contractor to do this job.

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
Did you have the foundation/soil/slab and affected area treated for the termites?

Don't do anything until you do or has been treated within the past 5 years.

Thank you for being forward about no inspections. I will not offer any advice if it will not be inspected. Good luck.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Regardless of whether it will be inspected, there are very sound reasond for the codes covering stairs. Inconsistent rise and run on the steps is very dangerous, as is low overhead clearances. Why not get help from a good carpenter. They learn about building stairs in Carpenter 101, and could probably come up with a solution for you.

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
There is no reason to have it inspected. Overall, it is a very simple job. Yes there are safety concerns and they will be addressed. I don't want to make it unsafe and all the steps will be the same. If someone doesn't want to offer advice, that is fine, let's not clutter the forums with those posts.

I've tried the contractor route and no one seemed interested in coming out to look.

The terminte thing is under control. Long explanation...

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
My wife hates our 2nd floor & basement stairs
Only 9.5" run & 8.25" rise
Compared to our deck stairs of ~7.75 rise & 12" run
Older house we are stuck with the stairs & headroom - 72" 2nd floor stairs - 63" to the basement
What I found for code, but it seems different areas have different code. Anyone care to confirm?
MAX rise 7 ¾ inches, Min tread width 10â€
Min head room clearance of 6’ 8†(80")

I'm a little puzzled by your diagram, do the blocks indicate the concrete steps you wish to pour?

Is the dirt contact at the side of the steps, or the top?
You said the bottom steps are concrete

If there is dirt on the side I would put concrete board on the side
Pouring concrete steps (except the bottom few) I think would be problematic. That's a lot of weight, you'd need rebar - I myself wouldn't do it
As far as Oak on top of concrete you need PT on concrete

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Since you are not going to follow codes, it doesn't matter how you do it or what materials you use. Just use whatever construction methods seem easy and have at it.

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
My wife hates our 2nd floor & basement stairs
Only 9.5" run & 8.25" rise
Compared to our deck stairs of ~7.75 rise & 12" run
Older house we are stuck with the stairs & headroom - 72" 2nd floor stairs - 63" to the basement
What I found for code, but it seems different areas have different code. Anyone care to confirm?
MAX rise 7 ¾ inches, Min tread width 10â€
Min head room clearance of 6’ 8†(80")
I just spoke to my contractor friend and though I don't remember the exact specs, he said 9" tread width and that risers couldn't be more than 8". Head room he said unfinished was 6'8". Again, I might have those off a bit, but very close. I didn't pay much attention or write them down, because it's impossible for me to get those sizes.

I'm a little puzzled by your diagram, do the blocks indicate the concrete steps you wish to pour?

Is the dirt contact at the side of the steps, or the top?
You said the bottom steps are concrete
The blocks represent the steps. The dirt contact is pretty much all around the steps for the lower level of steps and within the 5" point on the 1st step on the upper level.

If there is dirt on the side I would put concrete board on the side
Pouring concrete steps (except the bottom few) I think would be problematic. That's a lot of weight, you'd need rebar - I myself wouldn't do it
As far as Oak on top of concrete you need PT on concrete

Would the concrete board be a good enough barrier?

I doubt I pour concrete, it's just an option, I am weighing. Most likely I will build a cinder block retaining wall behind where the stairs are going and cap that with concrete. My neighbor is a brick mason and I can get his input on this. This wall wouldn't be structural in any sense, just a barrier to hold the dirt back and provided a termite/mouse barrier.

Per my friend, I will likely use treated lumber for the framework.

What is PT?

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
If it is a very simple job then why are you here asking questions about what to do and how to do it?

How do we know this is not part of the egress from the house? There are very specific rules about stairs, stairwells, rise/run, tread depth and handrails all for safety reasons.

Most of these rules are written in blood. A simple item like returns on handrails so nothing gets caught on them can be a big deal. Want to know why? I will tell you anyway. It is because more than once someone was found dead after a fire and their clothing was caught on a handrail keeping them from egressing the house so they inhaled more smoke and died trying to free themselves. The SCBA packs from firefighters has been known to catch on these things.

It is all simple and easy until someone gets hurt or worse.

The only reason people don't want to get something inspected is because they do substandard, unsafe work. If you take care of this simple, easy project and have nothing to hide then there is no reason why you can't pull a permit and get it inspected.

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Since you are not going to follow codes, it doesn't matter how you do it or what materials you use. Just use whatever construction methods seem easy and have at it.

These are the comments I don't understand....

I never said I wasn't going to follow "Codes". I simply said I am not overtly concerned with them. I said I wasn't going to have it inspected!! I'm not overtly concerned with codes, because current codes won't apply. Maybe to some extent as far as equal distances, etc, but not as far as code requires minimum height of X or depth of X, with X # of inches of headspace. I can't change those things!

I guess I can leave it as is with variances of up to 1" per tread height and tread width, with some termite damage and wood that is still in contact with dirt and a back door that is in a location with crappy drainage, so that my basement takes on water. All of that was passed by a code at one point and inspected, so it must be better than what I can do!!!

Get over it! I'm not having it inspected, because there is no need. I'd be willing to bet if I hired a contractor they wouldn't have it inspected either. I am also not having it inspected, because there is absoutely no way it is going to be up to current code, unless I tear the back of my house off and take it back 5' or tear out my basement floor and drop it down a foot or so. This is a 100y/o house, you have to make do with what you have.

Each step will be of equal distance and with the maximum space for headroom, I am just trying to decide is adding an extra step to make less steep stairs with a narrower tread with better or worse than steaper stairs with wider treads.

Basically, I can go with a rise of 8.67" and a run of 8.2"(+any overhang on tread) with the current 5 step configuration or I can go with a rise of 7.43" and a run of 6.83"(+any overhang on tread) with 6 step proposal.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
PT is pressure treated wood - which you said you will use
The concrete board come sin 3x5 sheets ( I would use the 1/2), so you would probably need a few pieces to run along the side of the stairs. I would seal any place where 2 boards meet with masonry. Your neighbor should be able to help/provide instruction on this

You are repairing/rebuilding pre-existing steps in an old house
According to the past 3 building Inspectors I have talked to: If you can change the steps to meet code then you can be required to do so. If space does not allow then you are allowed to rebuild/repair the stairs as is

Stair treads are supposed to be within 3/8" variance from shortest to longest is what I have found. IMO wider tread is better

Actually the main reason I have found most people do not want to get many things Inspected is it can trigger a Tax increase

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If it is a very simple job then why are you here asking questions about what to do and how to do it?

How do we know this is not part of the egress from the house? There are very specific rules about stairs, stairwells, rise/run, tread depth and handrails all for safety reasons.

Most of these rules are written in blood. A simple item like returns on handrails so nothing gets caught on them can be a big deal. Want to know why? I will tell you anyway. It is because more than once someone was found dead after a fire and their clothing was caught on a handrail keeping them from egressing the house so they inhaled more smoke and died trying to free themselves. The SCBA packs from firefighters has been known to catch on these things.

It is all simple and easy until someone gets hurt or worse.

The only reason people don't want to get something inspected is because they do substandard, unsafe work. If you take care of this simple, easy project and have nothing to hide then there is no reason why you can't pull a permit and get it inspected.

I am actually beginning to wish I hadn't asked. I thought this was a place with people whom wanted to be helpful, but obviously some are threatened by people whom are capable "DIY'ers".

You ask why I'm here asking....because I know I don't know and can't possibly remember everything I've ever learned and I like 2nd and 3rd opinions. I guess you were born, knowing everything and never ask for anyone else's input! WTF?

That is not the only reason. The main reason I don't have something inspected, is because I don't think the Gov't needs to be involved in every aspect of my life! So many things in this house have been inspected within the last 10-15yrs prior, without me living here, but I've seen that inspections were pulled, and the things that were done and passed make my head spin! These were things done by licensed pros and signed off by the city!

I don't think the city needs $50-$100+ to tell me my stairway is safe, so that they can then raise my taxes as well. I don't need them to tell me a 2x4 stud wall in my basement is safe, when I've framed dozens of houses from the ground up. I don't need them to tell me my hot water heater is installed safely or that this outlet or that is to code. I'd ask if you get the point, but you likely won't. I realize by law the pros need to get inspections....sorry, don't take that out on me! I'm sure you've never gone round and round with some inspector who read something in a book and now thinks he knows it all.....

All-in-all, I just don't think the city needs to come into my house! Just like I don't think the cops don't need to search my car! That doesn't mean I have done anything wrong, it just means they don't need to come in and snoop! It also helps, that as a homeowner, I don't have to have every single little thing inspected!! Not all DYI'ers are screwups, just like not all pros are con-men hacks!

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
PT is pressure treated wood - which you said you will use
The concrete board come sin 3x5 sheets ( I would use the 1/2), so you would probably need a few pieces to run along the side of the stairs. I would seal any place where 2 boards meet with masonry. Your neighbor should be able to help/provide instruction on this

You are repairing/rebuilding pre-existing steps in an old house
According to the past 3 building Inspectors I have talked to: If you can change the steps to meet code then you can be required to do so. If space does not allow then you are allowed to rebuild/repair the stairs as is

Stair treads are supposed to be within 3/8" variance from shortest to longest is what I have found. IMO wider tread is better

Actually the main reason I have found most people do not want to get many things Inspected is it can trigger a Tax increase

The PT is probably a good point on the cement, hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

Can't make code, not a doubt in my mind! They barely allowed the electrican to upgrade me from 60amp to 200amp service because my panel is on this landing! I can however keep well within the 3/8" variance!

BINGO on the inspection thing!! People don't want them in their houses! I just successfully fought my taxes down, I don't need them raising them again!

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Basically, I can go with a rise of 8.67" and a run of 8.2"(+any overhang on tread) with the current 5 step configuration or I can go with a rise of 7.43" and a run of 6.83"(+any overhang on tread) with 6 step proposal.

The traditional rule of thumb, from before we had building codes, is that rise + run should total about 17 or 18.

Stick with the 5-step.

Last edited:

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
frenchie, thanks for that! I am sort of think of framing up both setups and seeing which feels the best. I should have enough scrap to do some temp treads so all I would be out is $10-$15 for the lumber to build an extra stinger....

I also have one other question. I believe I mentioned that I will be building a short block retaining wall on both sides of the lower level stairs to keep the dirt off the wood framing. I spoke with my neighbor whom is a brick mason.

He suggested digging down about 4" (minimum), below the grade where I want to start the block wall, and pouring a small concrete footing. He said, once the hole was dug, drive several 4' sticks of rebar into the ground about 2', then pour the concrete around the rebar. Let it setup, then start laying the wall on top of that. With the rebar going through the blocks and adding rebar as needed. He said this will keep the blocks from tipping outwards. This would be done on both sides of the staircase.

I am including a picture to show the lower flight that direly needs work. I am unsure at this point, how high this block wall might go, but the trick will be keeping the sandy dirt out of the hole. If possible I'd like to go 6" down for the footing.

The question is does that sound good or from the pic given would someone do it differently. My neighbor hasn't actually looked at what I have, he went off a description, but said he'd come down and help me lay the block when I am ready, since I admittedly am horrible about laying bricks and blocks.

I have a few other pictures if need be. And I plan on trying to tie the white block wall on the sides of the picture to the new wall.

Attachments

• December 2008 134.jpg
    December 2008 134.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 555

GabeS

Remodel Contractor
Reaction score
Why isn't there a slab on your basement floor? Why is there dirt there? Is the entire floor dirt? If so, that can also cause moisture problems on your joists. If it's all dirt you might consider laying plastic down to keep moisture from coming up out of the dirt.

Adding an extra step would make the headroom problem worse since total run would be greater. Reducing a step might make the staircase too steep.

You can't include the overhang on your calculation for tread depth because every step will have an overhang thereby allowing less room for your foot to land. Only the top step would be easier to step on because of the overhang. Not sure if you get what I'm saying.:eek:

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
Many older houses had dirt floors in the basement
Concrete was an added cost & at times every penny counted
I 2nd the plastic on any exposed dirt floor
Maybe the dirt has just spilled in from the sides covering the cement?

If the dirt is on the sides (walls) then I would do what I could to seal those areas. My old house (1905) had a dirt floor crawl space 1'-5' deep. The 1/2" cement board was the only thing keeping the dirt out of the crawl space. There were piers at intervals around the outside of the house (and inside holding the house up). The plywood someone used in one area did not hold up too well :(

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Why isn't there a slab on your basement floor? Why is there dirt there? Is the entire floor dirt? If so, that can also cause moisture problems on your joists. If it's all dirt you might consider laying plastic down to keep moisture from coming up out of the dirt.

Adding an extra step would make the headroom problem worse since total run would be greater. Reducing a step might make the staircase too steep.

You can't include the overhang on your calculation for tread depth because every step will have an overhang thereby allowing less room for your foot to land. Only the top step would be easier to step on because of the overhang. Not sure if you get what I'm saying.:eek:

I get what you are saying about the overhang and I'm trying not to figure it into the calculation, but having it is better than not.

The dirt, is just dirt that has spilled out of the area I need to add the block wall to. It was held up with the wood panels on the side. I took two of those panels off and the dirt is what I got!!! Basement floor is cement.

Adding the extra step, could run into headroom problems, but I wasn't planning on changing the total run, only the total rise. [unless there was a way to cut out the sill plate and the rim joist, which probably isn't easily possible if possible at all] The dilema is what is better deeper treads, with steeper rise or shallower treads with less steep rise. Does that make sense?

frenchie, kind of seconded what my friend whom is a contractor said. I'll probably have him give me his opinion when I make the final decision, I just want other opinions.

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Many older houses had dirt floors in the basement
Concrete was an added cost & at times every penny counted
I 2nd the plastic on any exposed dirt floor
Maybe the dirt has just spilled in from the sides covering the cement?

If the dirt is on the sides (walls) then I would do what I could to seal those areas. My old house (1905) had a dirt floor crawl space 1'-5' deep. The 1/2" cement board was the only thing keeping the dirt out of the crawl space. There were piers at intervals around the outside of the house (and inside holding the house up). The plywood someone used in one area did not hold up too well :(

Like I just said, it is just spill over. I do have some dirt in other parts of the basement and I am covering that with plastic. I was actually concerned about radon, but I recently tested the house and the level came back very low. That was a relief!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks