Best way to reattach glass door unit to fiberglass shower wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

nightowl

Reaction score
The top mounting screw holding my glass door unit to the fiberglass shower wall has pulled loose. The other mounting screws are fine but this missing one is allowing the shower door to drag slightly which has worn out the rubber stripping at the bottom (which alerted me to the screw problem).

I've tried re-tightening the screw but it just turns in place. I've inserted a small wire into the screw hole and can't feel anything substantial for the screw to tap into (i.e. stud or other platform).

I've considering using a anchor style screw along the lines of what I would use to attach a shelf to sheet rock. However, I'm worried it will put to much stress on the fiberglass wall, causing it to crack or break.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what would be the best method/option for making this repair?

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are two methods that I am familiar with to attach something to a hollow wall. The good old Molly and a toggle bolt. I'd probably consider the Molly as my first choice as it does not require a hole as large as the toggle bolt, but either should work. I'd replace the screw in either devise with stainless steel.

nightowl

Reaction score
Should I be concerned about either one pulling back through the fiberglass wall or causing stress cracks down the road?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Should I be concerned about either one pulling back through the fiberglass wall or causing stress cracks down the road?

Yes, but you do not have a lot of options. Ideally, there should have been blocking installed to attach shower doors, grab bars, etc.

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
Check out www.toggler.com for some possible products.

Ive basically tossed all my red/yellow/blue plastic wall inserts and use Toggler for everything now. They are more expensive (and sometimes harder to come by), but once Ive put a Toggler in a wall Ive never had to replace it.

In fact I just replaced one of the inserts holding up my shower door tracks because it pushed thru during installation. Toggler was slightly oversized for the same hole and holds better anyway.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks