Post your Pics

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I cannot believe I am actually being invited to do this.

American Standard Cadet 3, with a Toto softclose lid and a replacement handle to match the trim:

standard.JPG

with a sweet brass pipe:

pipe.JPG

Check out what's under the hood...Korky performance parts...

lid.JPG

Last edited:

Nate R

Reaction score
What do those do for you, Ian?

I have a round version of the same toilet. Not a fan of the tank to bowl setup, but the toilet has worked well for the last 6 months since we put it in. No clogs!

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Thanks Nate. I am not sure whether I should discuss this here, but since you asked:

1) the brass pipe is just vanity really, to go with the brass escutcheon which does have a purpose...I have found they rust less (i.e. they do not rust) versus the chrome ones over the years.

2) The korky flapper is a necessary replacement for the stock flapper which tends to blister with chlorine after about two years. You know when this is happening because your Cadet will start to make a slow dripping sound, but you will not be able to see any water because the drip is on the inside. Korky flappers profess to be chlorine resistant and so far so good. The chain design is also better than the stock one.

3) the Korky fill valve was not really necessary but I like the "floatless" design, and it is very slightly quieter than the Fluidmaster it replaces.

attachment.php

Blisters develop on the black rubber seal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
Well, this is the best pic I have
I took pics of everything except the toilet
Almost complete gut & redo, new electric
Jacuzzi tub w/heater, radiant floor heat the goes into the hallway
New Kohler elongated toilet - nothing special (new seat was later)
Tiled floor & walls, new window, new cabinet, sink, new fixtures

scuba-dave-01.jpg

scuba-dave-02.jpg

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
What is that red thing-on-a-stick? Is that a standard accessory with AS? Just wondering 'cause Toto doesn't list anything like that.:D

Peterson

Reaction score
Here's my Mansfield!

Here's my Mansfield toilet I restored. I had written last year about rebuilding this toilet. It has never clogged, and nothing in the tank has ever broken. You can see the picture of how I rebuilt the inside of the tank using generic parts instead of the Mansfield flush tower. The bowl is 18 inches high. This toilet was made in 1988 and uses less than 3 gallons of water to flush.

Attachments

• P1000619.jpg
    P1000619.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,392
  • P1000623.jpg
    P1000623.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 1,386
  • P1000624.jpg
    P1000624.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,363
  • P1000627.jpg
    P1000627.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 1,389

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I was embarassed at the lack of leg-room I have on either side of my toilet but looking at the pics from you other guys I feel completely at home!!!!

Does anyone have a toilet with ample room on either side and in front? i.e. a lonely toilet in a big bathroom?

Neotonic: I have a fix for your AS. Make sure the black tube from the fill valve is directing water down the white overflow tube (just like what Peterson has). At the moment it appears that your trap is not filling with water which may be hampering your flush.

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
On those Mansfield toilets,

People either love them or hate them, there's usually no inbetween.

I'm very fond of Mansfield because they are the easiest to work on.

I wouldn't however would of removed that flush tower. People do that thinking that tower is bad, it really isn't.

It's OEM to the toilet itself and when you change the internals it usually creates other problems as a result. It's good yours is working because sometimes that flush valve assembly will overflush the toilet, causing it to have a distorted siphon jet cycle.

Nate R

Reaction score
Rugged, looks more like 2 plungers and a toilet brush to me. So maybe only 4 or 5 Toto's worth. :D

Ian, why would you be embarrassed? It is what it is as far as legroom.

My house was built w/ no bathroom initially in the early 20s. When plumbing was put in the street in front of the house, they soon added it in the house where they could make it fit. (1931 or so) My vent stack goes right through our stairway.

I've reframed the bathroom wall w/ 2X3s, and the center of the toilet will still be only 14" from the finished wall on one side. Toilet clears the door swing by only about 3 inches as well.

toilet.JPG

Neotonic

Reaction score
3 plungers and a disconnected refill tube, maybe some poop on the front.

I can tell you right now that in frustration, you've bought a Toto Drake 7 times with that toilet.

:lol:
1) 2 Toilet Plungers and 1 Cleaning brush
2) the refill tube has a hole and it doesnt harm the toilet
3) thats not shit..its glue from the stickers xD

My parents have an Eco Drake....

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
My upstairs bathroom has more room then downstairs
Downstairs I have 8" to the wall, 20" to the tub in front & maybe 4" to the vanity. The wife insists on stacking sons toys between the toilet & the wall (in a container)
Upstairs I have 10" to the wall, about the same to "slim" vanity
There isn't anything in front of the toilet upstairs - 4' of clear space
Vanity is like this, but darker finish - does not stick out from the wall much
So you are sitting almost in front of the vanity (13" depth, toilet tank is almost the same depth)

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
:lol:

2) the refill tube has a hole and it doesnt harm the toilet

Ahh...but indirectly it does.

With that tube not replenishing the water in the bowl properly after the flush down and refill, the water level isn't brought back up to its "normal" level to start the next 4 step siphon jet cycle.

It's making the toilet flushing action work 5 times harder and I bet you two custard filled donuts that when you put a new fill tube in, getting that water back in that overflow tube....

You can probably lose one of those two plungers because you're not going to be unclogging it as much.

I wouldn't lie about this.

Jay Mpls

Master plumber
Reaction score
Ok I'll bite.Here is the toilet I put in last month.A true water closet!
Tank mounted on the wall.Whole thing made in the united Arab Emerates.
Junk.

jay-mpls-01.jpg

jay-mpls-02.jpg

jay-mpls-04.jpg

The top...

jay-mpls-03.jpg

And the bottom....

No rough in specs at all.The salespeople at the place that sold it too her asked me to ask my plumber!!!!!!
No one could do anything until the thing showed up and I could uncrate it and figure out the rough in!
But!...Got the thing all set and mounted (Backing and water rough in perfect!)
AND the lid didn't fit.The tank needed to be 1/4" off of the wall!!!!
Tile saw took the back of the lid off just fine! Looks perfect.
Missing are the chrome pipe supports and the chain that hangs from the handle.

Here is mine.Next one is a Toto but I LOVE how this scares the hell out of people when they use my toilet for the first time.Never plugs.

Finally here is a toilet with a wooden tank (Fluidmaster inside!) From a rental house I was working in
near the U of MN

Neotonic

Reaction score
Ok I'll bite.Here is the toilet I put in last month.A true water closet!
Tank mounted on the wall.Whole thing made in the united Arab Emerates.
Junk.
The top...

DAMN NICE TOILETS... That American Standard Has the Same Tank as mine..but that Pressurized..Can I do it? hmmm

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I always jump to mad's posts when I see them. They never fail to amuse. :)

Do you need a special license to be qualified as a "mad" plumber?

Cookie

Reaction score
I cannot believe I am actually being invited to do this.

American Standard Cadet 3, with a Toto softclose lid and a replacement handle to match the trim:

View attachment 6107

with a sweet brass pipe:

View attachment 6109

Check out what's under the hood...Korky performance parts...

View attachment 6110

If I were you, I would either change out the shut off valve knob to brass too, or get a little can of gold paint so it blends in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks