I have 2 drains under my kitchen sink. Is this to code?

Users who are viewing this thread

lduchen

Reaction score
I am selling my house and the people buying our home had an inspector look over the house. He stated that our kitchen sink has 2 drain pipes and this is not code. He said sewer gas can back up in the one that has a trap that looks like an S. We have lived there for 10yrs and never had that problem.
Help.

lduchen

Reaction score
Here is a drawing of it. Sorry no artist

here is a drawing of it. This probably is original plumbing.
I hope this attachment works. The other pipe drains into the wall and then goes down to the main larger drain. Both drains coming together in the basement.
scan0001.jpg

Last edited:

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Ok, sorry to highjack this a bit, but I am curious about this S trap.

My tub seems to be on this type of setup. It drains into a P trap, but in order to go around some obstacles an S trap occurred. The obstacles are now gone and it wouldn't be real hard to change from the S, but it seems to work and the trap, which has a cleanout, seems to hold water. Should I change it?? I have everything I need as I am doing some other plumbing connections.

I have attached a drawing in hopes of showing exactly what I have. If need be, I can supply a picture later.

The vent and main line are 4", the tub drain is 2" and is the only item draining into this vent. The tub drains quickly, but does have a gurgle as it's draining. Not sure if the gurgle is normal or not, it comes from the overflow tube. My last house had the gurgle, but I don't doubt it had vent issues.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the highjack....:eek:

Attachments

• tub drain.JPG
    tub drain.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 3,312

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
That is an s-trap. You should change it while you have the chance. The fact that it is working doesn't mean anything; it still has the potential to siphon.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
S trap

The configuration, not the distances, make it an "S" trap. But since there is no way for you to look down and see how much water is in the trap, how do you know it is working? As far as the sink drawing, I would wonder WHY someone would go to the trouble, time, and cost of doing it that way, when it is so simple to connect both sinks together and use the single "P" trap on the left.

Sixlashes

Plumber in Previous Life
Reaction score
Assuming the distance from the (vertical) vent is not more than 8 feet, you are in business. Just reposition the 4 X 2 sanitee (cannot use a wye and 45, or combo) up a few inches to give 1/4 inch of grade per foot of horizontal run on the 2" trap arm to the trap. It will work great.

Many tubs and showers drain slow because they are run flat without grade or even slightly back-graded. It is also a good idea to support the trap arm just before the trap to ensure it has no way of slipping down the tailpiece from your tub and reducing or eliminating the grade.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Iduchen,

Cap off the s-trap and use one of these to tie the 2 sink drains together to drain into the p-trap...

550666.jpg

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Assuming the distance from the (vertical) vent is not more than 8 feet, you are in business. Just reposition the 4 X 2 sanitee (cannot use a wye and 45, or combo) up a few inches to give 1/4 inch of grade per foot of horizontal run on the 2" trap arm to the trap. It will work great.

Many tubs and showers drain slow because they are run flat without grade or even slightly back-graded. It is also a good idea to support the trap arm just before the trap to ensure it has no way of slipping down the tailpiece from your tub and reducing or eliminating the grade.

I absolutely can't move the 4 x 2 sanitee, as this is just below where I had to support a 4" cast iron pipe, which is the vent for the system. I can however cut the line before the P trap and lengthen that. I would however have to use a 45 or a 90 to make the bend to the 4 x 2. Are you saying that won't work, it would not be a verticle connection, only horizontal. I can snap a pic if need be.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks