Water draining bad, backup in basement... (Pictures included)

Users who are viewing this thread

mike04gt

Reaction score
EDIT: More pictures/problems in posts below

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie homeowner with a problem, me and my wife just moved in this past September to an old 2 flat house on the Northside of Chicago.

Recently, we have been having some problems with our plumbing. When we take a shower, the water does not drain out of the bathtub at all, it fills up above our feet for a 5-10 minute shower and slowly drains out after that.

The issue is, in the basement adjacent to the bathrooms location on the first floor is the laundry room, and the floor drain seems to clog up and push water up out of it. Its stink sewage smelling water too. It is the only one that does this in the basement, but we never had any problems when it was warm out in September with water draining in the bathtub. About 3 weeks ago, we also had a plumber come out to the house and snake the bathtub when we only thought that was the problem. But recently we noticed water coming up through the floor drain in the basement also.

Could it just be that the pipes are frozen and not letting water get through?
If so, wouldnt the hot shower water help free those pipes up?
Or are we dealing with a nasty clog???

Last edited by a moderator:

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
You have a blockage in your main sewer system. Its time to call a plumber or in Chicago there is Sewer License for sewer and drain guys, You can call one of them. Make sure they call the City for a rodding permit. The bath tub may have its own blockage and needs to be rodded as well.

mike04gt

Reaction score
You have a blockage in your main sewer system. Its time to call a plumber or in Chicago there is Sewer License for sewer and drain guys, You can call one of them. Make sure they call the City for a rodding permit. The bath tub may have its own blockage and needs to be rodded as well.

You think it could just be frozen or is it just junk clogged up in there?

If I called a plumber, they'd be able to determine what it is that needs to be done if I describe the problems right?

I'm just used to living in apartments where I never had to deal with this stuff before, its fun owning a home haha!

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
You think it could just be frozen or is it just junk clogged up in there?

If I called a plumber, they'd be able to determine what it is that needs to be done if I describe the problems right?

I'm just used to living in apartments where I never had to deal with this stuff before, its fun owning a home haha!

Its a clog in the system, its very rare for it to be frozen, and at the temps we are having in Chicago its very unlikely. Yep when you call a plumber they will be able to look the job over and determine the trouble and fix it. Also it wouldn't hurt to call the City and ask them if their sewers are draining properly. With this thaw we are having can cause the city sewers to back up.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Make sure they call the City for a rodding permit.
Just a quick question. In the event of an early morning blockage.

Why would anybody want to call the city, (I assume the permit office in Chicago is only open between the hours of 9:00 am and 4:00 pm), for a rodding permit if a client calls a drain company for an emergency with water/sewage up to his ankles at 3:00 am? Waiting for a permit to go through would be a waste of time in my opinion.
(keep in mind that where I live we do not need a permit to unclog a drain, we only need a permit if a section of drain is going to be replaced)

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Just a quick question. In the event of an early morning blockage.

Why would anybody want to call the city, (I assume the permit office in Chicago is only open between the hours of 9:00 am and 4:00 pm), for a rodding permit if a client calls a drain company for an emergency with water/sewage up to his ankles at 3:00 am? Waiting for a permit to go through would be a waste of time in my opinion.
(keep in mind that where I live we do not need a permit to unclog a drain, we only need a permit if a section of drain is going to be replaced)

The Chicago permit office is open 24 hours, the plumber does not need to go to the office, just call the permit office give the information on the house you are rodding, then they issue you the permit and mail you the bill of 10 bucks.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
The Chicago permit office is open 24 hours, the plumber does not need to go to the office, just call the permit office give the information on the house you are rodding, then they issue you the permit and mail you the bill of 10 bucks.
Thats a money grab , if I ever saw one. They get you coming and going

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Thats a money grab , if I ever saw one. They get you coming and going

It came in handy for me many of times. When i call for the permit they inform me how many times in the homes lifetime the drain been rodded, if any repairs where done on the sewer, and the location of the stub. 10 bucks to maintain records that most homeowners don't keep or never known about when they bought the house is well worth it to me.

mike04gt

Reaction score
Well, too late fellas. Last night it went up to nearly 60* in Chicago, and the 12" of snow completely melted off, not to mention the huge thunderstorm that came through last night.

Basement is NOW flooded.

Ladiesman271

Homeowner
Reaction score
Well, what are you doing about it? Buy a wet/dry vac and clean up that mess. You could pay a plumber to do that, but that's kind of expensive!

You still have to call someone in to clean out the drain. Note that the floor drain may not go to the sewer connection.

mike04gt

Reaction score
Well, what are you doing about it? Buy a wet/dry vac and clean up that mess. You could pay a plumber to do that, but that's kind of expensive!

You still have to call someone in to clean out the drain. Note that the floor drain may not go to the sewer connection.

Just vacuumed all the water out of there, at least 500 gallons of backwashed water. Good times.

mike04gt

Reaction score
Also, found this pipe in the wall which is definately a problem... don't know what pipe this is, but it was spewing water from the hole when we took showers tonight... it looks like there is alot of paper in it, when the water was coming out of it, it smelled like a toilet.

Any suggestions on what to patch this hole with? I have no clue, looks like its just rusted out completely, when I cut the drywall off, someone must have messed with it before because there was tons of crap silicone sealant around it.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
clean out that drain

someone a long time ago broke out that brass drain plug
and never replaced it....

you need the sewer cleanes out and it might be a good idea to dig a sump pump pit somewhere in the basement...

find the low spot where the water goes to first and install
a pit and pump for future disasters....

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
That is an old lead fit-all that is busted. It is the access the plumber needs to access to power rod your drain. Did you call the City to as them if their sewers are draining OK? If they say they are clear its time to call a plumber. I was just up North Wests side today, lots of flooded basements.

Cass: If your a Chicago, or Illinois licensed plumber there is none. But if you are just a sewer and drain cleaner guy you need to have a Cook County sewer license which is 50 bucks a year. To get it you have to take a test the first time out. It a Sewer and Drain layer license. Mine is SL#340 We had that number since the 1960's We keep it casue it makes getting permits for sewer repairsin the streets of Chicago a whole lot easer.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Backup in basement ! !

At first i was ready to agree with the other plumbers posts,
but since your basement flooded i think you don't have a real sewer problem

since the city sewer there is a combination of storm drains and sewer
i think it is a problem with the city main line and thats what keeps the water coming out,

also like redwood said some cheap drain person just knock a hole in your clean out cap and instead of replacing it just left it open ! !

Which is very very bad ! !

mike04gt

Reaction score
And why hasn't a plumber/drain cleaner been called to this residence?

Jobs like that are simple; get it open with my equipment, charge a good fee and head to the next.

That wastewater is coming back if there's more rainfall/melting to come.

Me and my wife just got the house this past September, only the past 2 weeks we have been having issues with the plumbing and I have been trying to figure out the problems. Now that I found this hole in the line, it should help when we have a plumber come out and check out the basement.

According to the weather, rain is gone after tonight and snow is coming back, so I guess thats a bit better.

Do most plumbers have a special tool that can get this old cap out? It really seems like its bonded and rusted in there pretty bad, I was going to try to get it out but I didn't want to screw things up even more.

That is an old lead fit-all that is busted. It is the access the plumber needs to access to power rod your drain. Did you call the City to as them if their sewers are draining OK? If they say they are clear its time to call a plumber. I was just up North Wests side today, lots of flooded basements.

Cass: If your a Chicago, or Illinois licensed plumber there is none. But if you are just a sewer and drain cleaner guy you need to have a Cook County sewer license which is 50 bucks a year. To get it you have to take a test the first time out. It a Sewer and Drain layer license. Mine is SL#340 We had that number since the 1960's We keep it casue it makes getting permits for sewer repairsin the streets of Chicago a whole lot easer.

I tried to call the city many times today in the middle of sucking the water out of the basement and every time it was busy or I got put on hold for a long time, I think alot of people may have been calling.

If the city's sewers are backed up, would that cause the water in my bathtub to not drain like normal and spew water up out of the floor drain in my basement?

Also, this is the place I talked to after doing a bit of research online, found them off the actual City of Chicago website so they should be accredited with the city http://www.aplumberin1hour.com/

Thank you all for all the help and suggestions!

Last edited:

mike04gt

Reaction score
At first i was ready to agree with the other plumbers posts,
but since your basement flooded i think you don't have a real sewer problem

since the city sewer there is a combination of storm drains and sewer
i think it is a problem with the city main line and thats what keeps the water coming out,

also like redwood said some cheap drain person just knock a hole in your clean out cap and instead of replacing it just left it open ! !

Which is very very bad ! !

I hope you are right taht it is just something with the city's main line and its not something in mine. Either way, when I get a plumber out here I'll be getting it rodded out anyways.

Hell, with the way the last owner of this house took care of things with that hole in the cap, who knows how long its been since the lines have been cleaned out :(

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks