venting of utility sink pump in basement

Users who are viewing this thread

vkristof

Reaction score
I bought and installed a utility tub and Flotec "laundry tray system" (sump pump in a box): the cesspool line is a few feet above the basement floor. Installation went well: the pump cycles correctly, the tub drains.

However, when I went to install the Oatey "in-line vent" in the vent hole of pump box I wound up thinking about the operation of the vent in this application. It seems to me that the inline-vent can NOT be used because the incoming water will attempt to compress the air in the box due to the one-way air flow of the in-line vent.

Is this true?

If so, is there any way of avoiding running a vent pipe to the outdoors?

Thanks ahead of time!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

That is true, and if the sink has its own trap before going into the tank it may "never" drain. There is no "proper" way to install the vent without it either tying into an existing vent, (not a drain line), or going out through the roof.

beepboop

Reaction score
basement laundry & utility sink vents

I am planning to put laundry and sink to the basement.

What is the simple solution for this pump box problem? If you only have relatively clean water waste I think you don't need a P trap on the sink or anything hooked up to the box vent, just pump to a P trap on the drain side, like for the washer.

If the water is nasty, you want a trap but now hj are you saying you need the box vent to go both ways? (both in and out?) That sounds strange. Can't you "compress" the air to the drain, possibly through the pump?

If it's not possible to use an air admittance valve for this application, I suppose while I'm cutting a dryer vent hole in my foundation I should go ahead and cut a sink pump vent too? Maybe I can seal up the washer drain and vent it this way as well.. Any advantage to that?

Thanks in advance for your help!

beepboop

Reaction score
By the way vkristof@optonline.net told me in email that he went ahead and built it and the air admittance valve worked fine. He suggests maybe the box is not tight enough to allow the compression to be a problem.

So at this point I am really only concerned about keeping down the stink, and whatever the codes say. If there are better solutions, maybe we can find them. Obviously this topic is very popular but poorly understood. Any daredevils out there with stories to tell?

bug0926

Reaction score
Hmmmm...I have the same issue. What if you cannot tie into a vent. How do you solve?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Its really simple! These pump systems require 2-way airflow to work. This means the Air Admittance Valve is not an option. You need a vent that goes through the roof! By code it is your only option. You may tie into an existing through the roof vent to accomplish this. Leaving the system open is not an option as it is a drain and smells will occor. If you cannot find a way to properly vent this then you need to hire a plumber who can!

Codes are here to ensure that plumbing works properly and your health is no endangered.

BTW The Flotec pump is the last pump I would consider using. It has an inlet strainer that is very prone to clogging.

Last edited:

Littlebrook

Reaction score
Last edited:

tman

Reaction score
venting utility sink

I have the same set up, drain pipe above the basement floor. The plumber wants to connect the vent from the utility sink pump - not to the roof vent - but to the one that goes out of the foundation of the house about a foot off the ground. Is this ok?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If side venting is allowed under code in your area then it is...

Most don't.

I don't get what is so hard about getting a vent through the roof...
Maybe you need better plumbers...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks