Advice needed, problem with short wires in box

Users who are viewing this thread

apparentgenius

Reaction score
In my never ending remodeling projects, I am in the process of adding a couple of recepticles to my existing kitchen circuit. It is a 20A circuit and only has 2 single receptacles on it now and I am changing them to duplexes.

The problem is that the wires in the boxes were trimmed very short, they extend maybe an inch or so beyond the boxes, don't ask me why, it is just how they are. Can I add a pigtail to these to give myself sufficient working length extending beyond the box or is it necessary to pull new wire to remedy this situation (would be a real pain). I guess my basic question here is "do all wire ends need to extend the minimum distance from the box or just the ones connecting the device at that box"?

Having recently wired my vacation home in the same county, the inspector pulled a "sample" recepticle to check my work, including the length of the wires, so I imagine he will do the same here.

Thanks in advance.

Glen

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
300.14 Length of Free Conductors at Outlets, Junctions, and Switch Points.
At least 150 mm (6 in.) of free conductor, measured from the point in the box where it emerges from its raceway or cable sheath, shall be left at each outlet, junction, and switch point for splices or the connection of luminaires or devices. Where the opening to an outlet, junction, or switch point is less than 200 mm (8 in.) in any dimension, each conductor shall be long enough to extend at least 75 mm (3 in.) outside the opening.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
the wires in the boxes were trimmed very short, they extend maybe an inch or so beyond the boxes

I'd solder longer wires onto them and use heat-shrink tubing to cover the (hook) splice.
The copper needs to be lightly sanded first so the oxide is removed.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If they are 1" out of the box you have enough (barely) to work with and pigtail them.

You might try to loosen the box clamps (if any) and see if there is any slack in the wall. You can also (sometimes) relocate the box up or down to get more wire. No inspector is going to turn down a repair like that. New installation and repair generally have different criteria.

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
Contact the electrical inspector and tell him/her what the situation is and ask what is required to pass inspection. That is the safest bet.

If you were in my jurisdiction I would allow you to pigtail as long as they were all done neatly and in a workman like manner. AHJ call.

apparentgenius

Reaction score
Everyone,

Thanks for the advice and clarity on the code. I'll give the inspector a call and see if he lets me go the pigtail route. Might as well ask before pulling new wire.

Glen

MaintenanceGuy

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is so obvious that I'm sure you've already thought of it but is there enough slack in the wires to pull another couple of inches into the box?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks