Black Specks - AGAIN

Users who are viewing this thread

FoxHome01

Reaction score
I posted a few months ago about black specks we were seeing in our dishwasher, showers and tubs. Based on my research it seemed to have boiled down to either the expansion tank or the anode rod. We've since had both replaced. I even called our City Water and they said that they've had people over the years say the same thing and it was their expansion tank.

Sadly, they seems to be back. I've noticed them in the dishwasher again. Same thing that happened last time - we'd randomly see them and then all of a sudden they were all over the place.

I have no idea what else there is to do. Someone had suggested that perhaps it's the water itself and that maybe we'd need a filtration system. If that's the last option, is that honestly going to resolve our issue?

What's the average cost?

Any other recommendations?

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
The first step is to have a chemical analysis performed on your water by a professional lab. Expect to $65+. Otherwise you are just guessing at the problem

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Does your water utility use chloramine as it's primary disinfectant? If so, the black specks could be coming from rubber washers, rubber gaskets, or the rubber diaphragm on an expansion tank. Chloramine attacks rubber.

FoxHome01

Reaction score
The first step is to have a chemical analysis performed on your water by a professional lab. Expect to $65+. Otherwise you are just guessing at the problem

I am planning to have someone come to the house to take a sample and have it tested. When this was originally looked into the plumber took a sample and sent it out. They claimed high levels of iron in the water and suggested that it's reaction with the anode rod was likely the cause.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Well if the black flecks are Magnesium Sulfide which is caused by your water reacting with the Magnesium Anode, You need to install an Aluminum Anode to stop the chemical reaction.

FoxHome01

Reaction score
Well if the black flecks are Magnesium Sulfide which is caused by your water reacting with the Magnesium Anode, You need to install an Aluminum Anode to stop the chemical reaction.

I went and checked the receipt and it was in fact an aluminum anode. So, I have a brand new aluminum anode and an expansion tank. Neither have seemed to fix my problem.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
If you have any braided SS flex lines, they are black rubber hose.

IMO black specs have nothing to do with the anode rod or the type of anode rod.

Do you have any black slime in the toilet tanks at or below the water line?

Is there any odor in the water and if yes, what does it smell like?

BurleyMike

Reaction score
The water from my shallow irrigation well is full of iron and copper. Every year I get one or two sprinkler heads that loose pressure. The inlet screen will be all clogged up with what looks like coffee grounds. If you crush them they look slightly orange.

A few years ago I filled the kiddie pool from this well. I dumped some shock in the pool and went to bed. The next morning the pool was orange. It was fun to clean up.

After adding a chelating agent I had to vacuum out a bunch of tiny ornage and green beads.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
The water from my shallow irrigation well is full of iron and copper. Every year I get one or two sprinkler heads that loose pressure. The inlet screen will be all clogged up with what looks like coffee grounds. If you crush them they look slightly orange.

A few years ago I filled the kiddie pool from this well. I dumped some shock in the pool and went to bed. The next morning the pool was orange. It was fun to clean up.

After adding a chelating agent I had to vacuum out a bunch of tiny ornage and green beads.
You should have the raw untreated water tested for iron and copper.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks