Leyden Jar

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
Leyden's Jars can hold enough electricity to rival that of a small lightning bolt. Leyden's jars are completely harmless if treated correctly but can be harmful or even fatal when discharged after being filled. The best way to avoid being harmed by one of the death jars is to simply leave it without a top. This ensures that no electrons are submitted into the object. It is also perfectly fine to leave one of these jars with the top ajar so that the opening is not covered. This is only effective if the top of the jar is NOT grounded.
No matter how the jar is positioned, top on or off, grounded or not the jar will never ever cause harm if held the right way. What makes this jar dangerous is the discharge of electrons. The only way to discharge the jar is too complete the circuit allowing the electrons to flow through an intermediate object and become grounded.
If the jar is only held around the middle where the tin foil is then the holder is safe because the electrons inside can't get out.
If one touches the top of the jar, similarly the loop is not complete and the jar will do nothing. Under No Circumstances, no matter how safe you think you are being, never touch the top of the jar and the middle when the jar is assembled. This releases the charge and can cause death.

Cookie

Reaction score
My friend and I were discussing these, they were once used in physics classes in high schools. I wonder if so today. I hope so.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Theoretically, the short circuit current of a capacitor is infinite. I guess that's where they get the lightning bolt stuff.

The last sentence below is probably a pun.

St. Petersburg, 6 August 1783. Prof. Richman and his assistant being struck by lightning while charging capacitors. The assistant escaped almost unharmed, whereas Richman was dead immediately. The pathologic analysis revealed that "he only had a small hole in his forehead, a burnt left shoe and a blue spot at his foot. [...] the brain being ok, the front part of the lung sane, but the rear being brown and black of blood." The conclusion was that the electric discharge had taken its way through Richmann's body. The scientific community was shocked.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Yeah, you got to be careful. But, science is a lot of fun, too. I was just talking to someone which made me remember when I won my first science award with Westinghouse, when I was 13 years old. It was using a glass insulator and capacitor, and I lit up the map of the United States. Each state had a small bulb. I even magnetized the sand used in the desert. lol. It was pretty cool. If I sat and thought long enough, I might be able to remember how I did it. But, I am so old...my memory goes in and out.:D

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
so old

The mortality tables give me 22 more years. That could be good and bad.:confused:
If I somehow survive all the hazards between now and then, the tables give me a few more years, and so on until I reach 110, in which case I get one more year.:eek:

The built-in life span for people is about 85.
http://www.amazon.com/Vitality-Agin...=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229640416&sr=1-5

". . . went to pieces all at once, --
All at once, and nothing first, --
Just as bubbles do when they burst."

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Leyden Jars are neat...
But playing with a Tesla Coil was way cool!

Holding tight on a metal rod with a 1' arc going to it, hair standing on end, and a flouresent tube glowing in the other hand...:eek:

Yea that was neat!

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Leyden Jars are neat...
But playing with a Tesla Coil was way cool!

Holding tight on a metal rod with a 1' arc going to it, hair standing on end, and a flouresent tube glowing in the other hand...:eek:

Yea that was neat!
And a neon sign transformer, 7.5 kV to 30 kV, will give you the arc but at a dangerous level of current.

Cookie

Reaction score
I was at the supermarket and when I opened the fridge doors I got ZAPPED so hard, the person standing next to me, felt it, lol. We both yelled. :eek:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks