240 v install

Users who are viewing this thread

Rockycmt

Reaction score
have in the past properly installed 20 Amp 120vac circuits to my main. I feel I have a good understanding as to how they work and are installed. I am going to attempt my first 240vac circuit for a new range. My existing range is electric but the wiring is old and since I have the wall open I have the chance to put in new. Here are the details of my new range.

Electric Supply:
These ranges must be supplied with 208/240 volt,
60 Hz., and connected to an individual, properly
grounded branch circuit protected by a circuit
breaker or time delay fuse (50 amp for 48" ranges,
30 amp for 36" and 30" ranges). The receptacle
must be a NEMA 14-50R device to accept the
4-prong plug supplied with the range.

The range is equipped for use with an electrical
supply which uses a separate grounding conductor
(4 wire system).
If this range must be connected to an electrical
system which utilizes a single conductor for ground
and neutral (3 wire system), the grounding jumper
at the terminal block must be connected.
The grounding jumper is located to the right
of the terminal block.

The model I have is a 30 inch so I need a 30 AMP circuit. Here are my questions

1- Why don’t I need a ground on a 240 V circuit?
2- When I install a 14-50R outlet can I put 30 Amp wire to it ?(This sounds wrong.)
3- What is the correct gauge I should use to hook this up?

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
1) See where it says "IF"?
Yes, you DO need a dedicated ground and separate neutral. A 14-50R is a 4-prong receptacles that requires four conductors. This is a "120/240v" circuit, NOT a "240v" circuit.

2) Yes, it would be wrong, but not non-compliant. Odd, I know. I would make sure the cord was indeed a 50A range cord.

3) If you use a 30A breaker you can use 10/3 w/ground cable. If you are going with the 50A use 6/3 w/g cable.

Rockycmt

Reaction score
Great comments I will go with the 50 A solution
But....
What is the difference between 120/240 and a 240 v circuit?

And i guess if one had to use 3 wire hookup the jumber lets the neutral and ground piggyback back to the main?

Johnny C

Electrician
Reaction score
240-V Range Installation

DO NOT install a 50 ampere breaker for a range that is listed to be used with a 30 ampere overcurrent device. Remember the wiring in the electric range is designed to be used with a 30 ampere overcurrent device, NOT 50 amps. This would be a violation of NEC Section 110.3(B). When the testing laboratory tested the electric range, it was tested with a 30 ampere overcurrent device. A fault in the wiring or heater element would result in a greater fault current and arcing than allowed by the testing Laboratory specs.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Most standard 30" ranges require a 40 amp circuit (8/3 NM)

I would at least install that in case someone wants a standard range there someday. Use 8 wire and a 30 amp breaker to stay within the Mfg's requirements on the one you are looking at.

In the olden days, ranges were straight 240 volts (like your water heater still is today). No 120V components, so no neutral required. Newer models use 120V for controls, low heat. lights etc

Last edited by a moderator:

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
I agree with 221. Wire the circuit with 8/3nm cable but use a 30A breaker and receptacle. This way you have the opportunity to use an electric range later. The difference between #8 and #10 is no that much.

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
Why don't you just use the information from the electric range data plate and size the circuit accordingly like you are suppose to.

You will need see what the rated wattage is of the appliance and its nominal voltage.

Everything else is just a guess.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks