Installing suspended ceiling grid

Users who are viewing this thread

thebrownsfan

Reaction score
I am finishing my basement in my newly constructed home. I have completed all the framing and electrical runs, and am now ready to install the grid system for the suspended ceiling.

I will be using 2x2 ceiling tiles. For a 2x2 installation, it's my understanding that the standard way to install the grids is to:

1) Align the main tees parallel & 48" on center,
2) Install 48" cross tees 24" OC & perpendicular to the main tees, and
3) Install 24" cross tees perpendicular and centered on the 48" cross tees.

My question: Can I simply install the main tees 24" on center, and then install the 24" cross tees perpendicular and 24" OC on the main tees, thereby eliminating the need for the 48" cross tees?

Is there anything "wrong" with installing the grid as I describe in my question?

Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

alexjag33

Reaction score
Drywall

Um, you might want to drywall first.

I've never installed a grid prior to the drywall.

The outer tracks for your suspended ceiling should be fastened to drywall, not studs.

The rest of your installation steps look OK.

thebrownsfan

Reaction score
LOL! Oh, I am with you, Alex, I know about the drywall part...I was just referring to post-drywall installation.....thanx, however for making sure! :)

Todd

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Having done only a small amount of this, it occurs to me that it may be slightly more tedious to install in the manner you describe. It is just something rattling around in my pea brain, and hopefully someone with a lot of experience can shed some light. As far as the final outcome, I don't see a big difference between the two methods.

Rmodeler

Reaction score
You would have twice the number of main runners to hang/wire up, plus it will cost you more. Check the cost of one main runner versus 3 4' cross tees. You can put in 3 4' cross tees quicker than hanging one main runner. It would be a lot of unnecessary work.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks, remodeler....that is sort of what I was thinking but you put it in very epecific terms for us.

AcidWater

Reaction score
Your grid pieces have some thickness, and you must account for that -- 24" OC will add up to an error by the time you reach the opposite wall. Check that the tiles are actually less than 24" to account for that, if you can do 24" OC.

thebrownsfan

Reaction score
Your grid pieces have some thickness, and you must account for that -- 24" OC will add up to an error by the time you reach the opposite wall. Check that the tiles are actually less than 24" to account for that, if you can do 24" OC.

I'm with ya, Acid. Already have that taken into account.....BTW, I will be installing the main tees on 48" centers, then adding the 48" and 24" crosses where needed....

Just want to say that this forum has been great for me over the years with all the knowledge and advice help. Thanx, all!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks