Need help with crane single-handle bathtub faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

dsiewert

Reaction score
I have a crane bathtub faucet, I believe originally installed in 1964. It has developed a minor leak and I wanted to dis-assemble it as the first step in a repair.

The unit is a single handle faucet. The unit pulls out to turn the water flow on and rotates left and right to control the temperature. I pulled the little metal cap off the center of the round flow control. A bolt was now visible which holds the control knob onto the valve stem. The odd thing is that inserted through the middle of the securing bolt was a very small allen wrench. I haven't seen this before and I don't know its function.

Removing the control handle and a chromed sleeve which covered the valve assembly, I could now see the exterior of the valve assembly. Sliding down through exterior of the exterior bronze assembly shell is a little lock-key which I assume keeps the valve in place when water pressure is applied. The two legs of the key slip between two tabs on the faucet value itself which would prevent it from rotating.

So I removed the lock-key. When the allen wrench is inserted into the center of the value, it engages something but will only turn about a turn and a half.

Can anyone tell me how I go about pulling the valve? Not having experience with this unit, I didn't want damage anything by applying excessive force.

Thanks in advance.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
crane

Crane used the Moen valve for a long time. The allen wrench was a "lubricator". You turned the wrench a couple of times to inject grease into the stem and keep it working. (that feature did not last very long because it did not work) You need a Moen 1200 or 1225 stem to repair it.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Crane used the Moen valve for a long time. The allen wrench was a "lubricator". You turned the wrench a couple of times to inject grease into the stem and keep it working. (that feature did not last very long because it did not work) You need a Moen 1200 or 1225 stem to repair it.

Wow, learned something today. Never knew about this. Was it back when the valve was "stanadyne"??

dsiewert

Reaction score

This explains the lavender grease I found on the tip of the valve stem.

I found Moen has a nice on-line documentation that describes the tear-down process. Looks like I just have to pull harder to get the valve out.

Thanks for the info.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks