Celing Fan wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

crabapplemcn

Reaction score
I am building new construction and will have an electrician hard wire but will install ceiling fan myself. I wanted to have 2 wall switches control the fan. One to control the light and another (knob) to control the various speeds of the fan. Is that possible and if so, how does it need to be wired
(anything special) and what wiring must the fan have (I have seen 2 wire vs 3 wire options when purchasing fans)
thanks

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
That depends entirely on the way the variable-speed controller works. If it's continuous, like a rheostat, you can get away with 3 wires (plus ground) from the switch to the fan (neutral, light, fan). If it's a multi-speed control, like low-medium-high, then you will probably need a separate wire for each speed, plus the one for the light, plus the neutral and ground.

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
It is best to simply run a 3 wire so you can have 3 switches.

Most quality fans these days actually have remote control devices at both ends and you can completely control the fan from that. The remote control will be installed inside the canopy of the fan.

Just go to an electric supply house and tell them what you want and they will direct you.

You may not even need the 3rd wire but have him pull it anyway, just incase you buy a cheap piece of crap.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My (ancient) Cassablanca fan controls fan speed, direction, light and dimmer with a two-wire circuit but requires their controller. Haven't looked at anything recent.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Always, ALWAYS run a 3 wire cable to a ceiling fan.

Generally it is a 14/3.

When you hang the fan, use the black for the fan and the red for the light. Black/black (fan motor), red/blue (light kit)white/white (common/neutral), green/bare (ground) Hunter brand fans use black for fan motor and black/white stripe for light kit.

It is best to simply run a 3 wire so you can have 3 switches.

I think you meant two switches rookie ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In my case, I was replacing an overhead light with a fain/light combo and wanted to control the light and fan. The cassablanca does that electronically with only the two wire circuit. If you are running a new wire, the extra wire gives you a lot more flexibility.

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
Always, ALWAYS run a 3 wire cable to a ceiling fan.

Generally it is a 14/3.

When you hang the fan, use the black for the fan and the red for the light. Black/black (fan motor), red/blue (light kit)white/white (common/neutral), green/bare (ground) Hunter brand fans use black for fan motor and black/white stripe for light kit.

I think you meant two switches rookie ;)

yes,............why yes I did

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
huh ???!!!???
Yup. I've seen older fans with (apparently) multi-tapped windings and low-medium-high switches to set the speed. You'd need a common plus one wire for each speed if you wanted the switch on the wall, instead of on the fan. I'd be really surprised to find one for sale anywhere today, but I've been surprised before.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks