Flexi tube--does it need sediment trap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Deb2429

Reaction score
I installed a new water heater. To make things easy I used the yellow flexi tube to connect the gas line. I have read however from the manufacturer that the water heater gas line needs a sediment trap. Is this true if you use the flexi tube? SHould I go back to the black pipe?

Debbie

tl2tl

Reaction score
I've seen flex gas connectors looped so that the loop is below the connection to the heater and acts as a sort of sediment trap.

However, I would keep the sediment trap, since it's as easy to get a shorter flex connector and loop it so that one side connects to the heater and the other to the black "T" with the existing sediment trap.

Your dimensions and distances may be different, but here's a picture where I've penciled in one possible way to connect the flex line, while at the same time keeping the sediment trap intact.

After3loop.jpg

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There does need to be a trap, but that would not affect the use of the flex line. In the illustration in the previous post, you can see there is a trap in the tee leading to the heater. If I was doing that install, I would have used a flex line rather than the solid pipe, but it would be the same basic setup.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
The sediment trap is before the flex line connecting the water heater. Now is it required¿ Dunno, did you get a permit and is the inspector scheduled¿ if yes, then yeah, pipe a sediment trap.

Deb2429

Reaction score
flex

thanks for all the help. I put the black pipe trap back in, connected to heater with black pipe (where Terry drew his flex line) and use the flex on top on "t" to connect to gas line--that works right?

Deb

tl2tl

Reaction score
thanks for all the help. I put the black pipe trap back in, connected to heater with black pipe (where Terry drew his flex line) and use the flex on top on "t" to connect to gas line--that works right?

Deb

Yes, that sounds good.
Just double check all the connections for any leaks.

...BTW, I'm not Terry but that's ok :)

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

Here, dirt traps are not required and I have not seen or installed one in over 30 years. IF you need a trap, you need it regardless of how the connection is made. In the above picture, the question could be asked, "WHO connects the gas line to a water heater control valve without a union between the tee and the thermostat?"

Deb2429

Reaction score
why union?

why would you need a union? and where would it go? short black pipe/union/then black pipe to the thermostat?

tl2tl

Reaction score
Here, dirt traps are not required and I have not seen or installed one in over 30 years. IF you need a trap, you need it regardless of how the connection is made. In the above picture, the question could be asked, "WHO connects the gas line to a water heater control valve without a union between the tee and the thermostat?"

Here, the PROS connect the gas line to a water heater control valve without a union between the tee and the thermostat. ( But in your case, why would you need a tee if you don't have traps?)

The joint union is actually on the VERTICAL run of the black pipe, a foot or two above the "T".

In fact, I have never even seen a union installed between the "T" and the thermostat.

tl2tl

Reaction score
why would you need a union? and where would it go? short black pipe/union/then black pipe to the thermostat?

The union allows you an easy "starting point" for disassembling the gas connections.
However, if you used the flex pipe for your connections, you won't need a union, since you can just unscrew the connecting nut.

tl2tl

Reaction score
We ALWAYS installed the union between the tee and the gas valve, because the drop was installed long before the heater was on the job.

THAT is correct! And that is exactly how the union is installed in the above picture, between the gas valve and the "T" on the vertical drop, you just can't see it.

However, in your original reply you said it should've been between the "T" and the THERMOSTAT, which is not what you're saying above.

It is possible to install it between the tee and the thermostat, I just don't think it's the best place for it and I've never seen it done that way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks