Medicine cabinet install

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveGSO

Reaction score
Howdy,

Since my builder didn't see fit to install medicine cabinets, I'm trying to remedy that, without punching too many holes in the drywall.

Unfortunately, there's an outlet wire snaking along a stud in the preferred location in one bathroom, so I can either surface mount the medicine cabinet or install a connector box (either in the attic or higher up the wall), route the wire down the other side of the stud and then bring it back through below the medicine cabinet.

I came up with a 3rd option but I'm not sure if it meets code. Would it be okay to cut a groove in the stud to recess the wire (say 1/2" x 1/2" x 20")?

Thanks for any advice,
Steve

Beekerc

IT Consultant / Network Engineer
Reaction score
I came up with a 3rd option but I'm not sure if it meets code. Would it be okay to cut a groove in the stud to recess the wire (say 1/2" x 1/2" x 20")?

In this lay person's opinion, yes, grooving the the stud to encase the wire would be okay provided that (1) you protect the wire with nailer plate on the side that nails would likely be driven into the stud and (2) cutting said groove does not compromise the structural integrity of the stud (if it's a load bearing wall, or just a wall). this method is not the ideal way, but sometimes you get few options - and maybe some of the pro's here might be able to come up with one that you might not have thought of.

Cheers,
B

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks