Watts or Viega Tool?

Users who are viewing this thread

adamb

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been researching the various types of Pex fastening systems and have narrowed my choice to either the Watts system with copper crimp ring or the Viega with the stainless steel press sleeve. The only thing holding me back from the Viega is the cost of the complete tool kit...$1300 or so. From the research I've done it appears that the multi-head Watts crimp tool may be able to accomplish the Viega press fitting. If you look at Pexsupply.com, Watts doesn't offer a 1" adapter head in their own line but offers the Viega 1" tool for their crimp ring. Does anyone have any experience using the Watts or Pexcaliber tools with Viega sleeves and vice versa. Any help would be appreciated.

Adam

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Dump both and go wirsbo. Watts is crap, viega is crap. both will be on the short end of class action lawsuits in the near future. The fittings are restrictive and don't meet anybody's code.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Dump both and go wirsbo. Watts is crap, viega is crap. both will be on the short end of class action lawsuits in the near future. The fittings are restrictive and don't meet anybody's code.

Interesting comment though its accuracy may be debatable.

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com

Please explain why wirsbo isn't restrictive also? I watched the video and clearly see a fitting is pressed into the ID of the PEX ... so what's the difference.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The Wirsbo fitting won't fit into the pipe as delivered...the tool stretches the pipe so it is large enough to allow the fitting to fit inside, then it collapses back to the normal size locking it in place (well, not quite since it is now fitting over the fitting that wouldn't fit in the pipe in the first place). The system relies on the shape retention characteristics of the plastic pex material. They use a reinforcement collar that is stretched at the same time.

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
The Wirsbo fitting won't fit into the pipe as delivered...the tool stretches the pipe so it is large enough to allow the fitting to fit inside, then it collapses back to the normal size locking it in place (well, not quite since it is now fitting over the fitting that wouldn't fit in the pipe in the first place). The system relies on the shape retention characteristics of the plastic pex material. They use a reinforcement collar that is stretched at the same time.

Please attachment. The ID on this coupling is smaller than the pipe ID ... same issue as all the other manufacturers fittings regarding a reduction in the ID ... I'm looking at a 3/4 coupling and the OD of the fitting is 3/4".
http://www.uponor-usa.com/~/media/Files/Technical%20Documents/Specifications%20and%20Submittals/Plumbing/Brass%20Fittings/propex_brass_couplings.aspx?sc_lang=en

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Well, since the ID of 3/4" OD pipe is smaller than 3/4", compare the ID of the fitting with the ID of the pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks