Don't quit the day job!

Users who are viewing this thread

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The economy needs his $$$$ so let them invest it....then he can join the ranks of all the other inventors that have spent millions for nothing.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
invention

Actually, he is looking for someone else to spend the money making it, and then if any one actually buys one, he will take his percentage. That way, his only investment is whatever it cost for the patent, assuming he even got one. The only reason for a patent is to prevent someone from stealing your idea, and I think this one is safe from that.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Actually, he is looking for someone else to spend the money making it, and then if any one actually buys one, he will take his percentage. That way, his only investment is whatever it cost for the patent, assuming he even got one. The only reason for a patent is to prevent someone from stealing your idea, and I think this one is safe from that.

Somehow I don't see Charlotte Pipe running to buy any of those fitting designs...

Like this beauty...

vila12.jpg

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com

Yeah, HJ, I understand that. I'm just noting how a basically talentless home-building-wannabe can go from making money from nothing to making money from nothing.

On a different note: Have you been watching the latest installment of 'This Old House' and the post & beam 'pre-fab' they're putting up?

I'm overwhelmed on so many levels. Amazing technology, logic, etc.

I wonder how much money they actually save doing it this way, because it still looks like a 1.5mil job, sans site cost.

Be well,
HE

Reaction score
Website
www.howardemerson.com
Never watch it, because it gets frustrating seeing how easy it is to erect, or remodel, a building in a matter of a few days.

HJ,
I understand how and why they need to do the show in this fashion, but I sure wish they'd discuss, even briefly, the cost associated with some of the things they do.

They sure don't have the budget constraints some of us do.

HE

Construct30

Reaction score
HJ,
I understand how and why they need to do the show in this fashion, but I sure wish they'd discuss, even briefly, the cost associated with some of the things they do.

They sure don't have the budget constraints some of us do.

HE

People watch those shows then want what they see, a person can waste a lot of time doing estimates for poor people wanting that expensive stuff.

They really do make people have unrealistic goals... time, money and what is and isn't possible for people on a tight budget.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
fitting

It is a "gem" because it was designed for ONE specific application, and the number of times you would need it, or would even have the room for it are so limited that they might sell a few a month, or more likely one or two a year. Not nearly enough to justify the expense of producing it. I cannot remember ANY TIME, or installation where I might have used one of them, and that is over a 55+ year time span.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Actually patents are not designed to protect the inventor. A patent is designed to help the economy of the US, by showing everyone exactly how to make a new device, which will be beneficial to the general public. New inventions can save energy, reduce cost, expedite installation, or show completely new methods, which can benefit everyone. For having drawn and explained exactly how to make the invention that everyone can benefit from, the patent holder is given 17 or 20 years of protection. After this period of patent protection, anyone can build these devices to help benefit mankind. There are lots of examples of this working. Automobile engines, self contained or cartridge ammunition, airplanes and many other things started out this way.

The problem is, that really new inventions or ideas take time to be pioneered into the marketplace. Actually it takes about 17 years to pioneer a new product or idea. One example of this, is the diaphragm or bladder type pressure tank used for water well pumps. For many years there was only one brand of these type tanks available under the protection of a patent. For many years the inventor tried to market the benefits of this new type pressure tank. He received heavy criticism from standard tank manufacturers and other people in the industry. They told him that a pressure tank needed two connection, that water could not come and go through a single opening, as with his invention. They told him that water in the diaphragm would get stale or contaminated. They told him that smaller size tanks with a diaphragm could not do the same job as larger standard tanks. They did everything they could to discredit the inventor, and keep his new invention from being accepted by the public.

The inventor knew the advantages of this idea and was persistent to get it accepted in the industry. Just so happens it took about 17 years before his idea became widely accepted. All of a sudden, because the patent had expired, there were dozens of different brands of this new design on the market. Now it is the most common type of pressure tank in the world. The inventor is now just one of the many manufacturers of this type tank, and must compete head to head on price with people who just waited until his patent expired before adopting his idea as the new standard.

This happens with almost all new products and ideas. So a good patent is much more beneficial to the general public, than it is to the inventor.

As for the patent discussed in this thread, you can get a patent on just about anything. You can even get a patent on a concrete walking stick but, it doesn't mean it is a good idea or that it will sell. A good patent is one that someone tries to steal, of they try to hold you back until your patent expires. Most big companies know that it is better to steal or wait out a patent, than it is to invent something useful themselves. None of this is good for the inventor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks