Pex and Sunlight

Users who are viewing this thread

BurleyMike

Reaction score
Today we decided to head to town and do some shopping.

I remembered I needed piece of 6" duct pipe. The only place open on a Saturday is a big orange box store. The duct work aisle is also the plumbing aisle. I was shocked to see 20' straight lengths of pex in a rack right under a skylight. Though the coils were in indirect sunlight.

The sun was just pouring in on all those sticks of pex. I wonder how long they have been there baking in the sun?

When I bought pex at the local supply house they have the coils wrapped in black plastic. To unwrap the plastic you have to remove a paper band that has a warning about sunlight and other sources of UV light.

The also sell straight lengths, they store them in a 20' piece of PVC pipe with caps on both ends.

I am sure glad I replaced all the stuff I bought at the home center, not only did I have the bad brass going against me I also had pex that had been cooked in the sunlight.

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Kinda makes ya remember the good ole days back when prohibition was in effect.

Hide that alcohol!

The supply houses are guilty as charged about leaving all plastic piping in direct sunlight in the open yards.

I think they feel that the buying progress is what keeps the time limited on how long it's exposed.

Even the busiest supply houses....takes months to sell a skid of 20 footers.

It's all relevant to the big picture of product reliability.

Can I have an amen?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hell.. If it was in a big box store, it's probably Zurn which is crap anyway. Besides, no one other than homeowners are gonna buy that crap so who cares...:D

That weren't nice was it ma?

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Makes one wonder how these PEX companies deal with lawsuits that could be a direct result of product misuse.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hell.. If it was in a big box store, it's probably Zurn which is crap anyway. Besides, no one other than homeowners are gonna buy that crap so who cares...:D

That weren't nice was it ma?

Actually I know of a few pro's that have used it...
I enjoy asking them if they have heard of the lawsuit...:eek:
Recently on the other forum...
No reaction! :eek:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pex

The manufacturers would have little problem showing failure was due to sunlight, so any lawsuit should be dismissed. Their fallback position would be that any warranty would only be valid if it were installed by someone who had passed their installation certification seminar.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks