15 AMP switches

Users who are viewing this thread

Cybermonkey

Reaction score
I wired my bedrooms with 12 gauge wire and have already orded my switches that are 15AMP:eek:. Can I install these switches or is this a code violation?
The other question is: Can you install a 20AMP switch on a 15AMP circuit?

It seems like common sense tells me 20AMP switch for 20AMP circuit and vice versa. But, is this really the case?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
As long as the load does not exceed the rating of the switch it does not matter. If the switch controls an outlet, you should then use a 15A outlet.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
The wire must be sufficient to carry whatever the circuit breaker will let through, but you can have either 15- or 20-amp devices connected by either 14- or 12-gauge wire as long as the circuit is protected by a 15-amp breaker. But if you use a 20-amp breaker, then the wire must be at least 12-gauge even though 15-amp switches and receptacles can still be acceptable unless the circuit is a dedicated circuit such as for an AC unit requiring 20 amps.

Cybermonkey

Reaction score
So, basically if the switch is just supplying the light I should be just fine?

Thanks for the help!

Johnny C

Electrician
Reaction score
Section 404.14 requires snap switches to be used within their ratings as marked. See Section 404.14(A) through (D). The ampere rating of the switch is based on the type of switch, the load current that it is intended to interrupt, and the type of load, such as inductive, motor, or tungsten loads.
Assuming the loads you intend to control are lights and small utilization equipment such as radio and tv, switches rated 15 amperes at 125 volts are permited on a 15 or 20 ampere circuit wired with No. 12 awg, Cu.

Cybermonkey

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
The other question is: Can you install a 20AMP switch on a 15AMP circuit?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
switch

The only time you could not use that 15 amp switch is if you were doing it the easy way and backstabbing the wires. In that case the openings, by code, will not accept the 12 gauge wire.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks