Crawl Space HVAC

Users who are viewing this thread

weather777

Reaction score
HVAC was located in the crawl space of new construction(see below),but there is concern as to noise potential at night with a bedroom above.Please provide thoughts as to noise as well as possible solutions---there is a mechanical room on floor above,but HVAC person did not want to use it.The crawl space will be sealed (and conditioned) with foam above and other materials on walls and floor.

Thank you for your help

Attachments

• CIMG3451.JPG
    CIMG3451.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 1,083

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
HVAC was located in the crawl space of new construction(see below),but there is concern as to noise potential at night with a bedroom above.Please provide thoughts as to noise as well as possible solutions---there is a mechanical room on floor above,but HVAC person did not want to use it.The crawl space will be sealed (and conditioned) with foam above and other materials on walls and floor.

Thank you for your help

Imagine that, the HVAC professional took it upon himself to usurp the house designer. Call him back and tell him to do the job right or you'll call your attorney.

weather777

Reaction score
We agreed to it after hearing it would not work in the mechanical room as thought ---so I blame myself for it.:(

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
We agreed to it after hearing it would not work in the mechanical room as thought ---so I blame myself for it.:(
Most of the noise will come from the unit being attached to the I-joists. If you support it on the ground that will all go away.

Get out the install manual for the thing and locate the lower support points. Then get yourself a dozen or so concrete blocks, some pressure treated lumber, a short shovel and your old clothes. Dig a footing under the unit to the frost line and stack up the blocks to a few inches of the unit's support points. Cut plates from the lumber to bridge over the masonry cells and cushion the unit. Then drop the unit down onto the new support, making sure that you've got plenty of slack in the flexible duct connections and the condensate still drains.

You can also get a roll of unfaced fiberglass insulation and add it to what you already have between the joists above the unit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks