RE- Sick Septic system

Users who are viewing this thread

gundogblue

Reaction score
Well the septic guy was just out, he said I need the top of my septic tank re-built, and a new lid, and a new line-out from the septic tank. Also Im gonna expose all the distrobution boxes , they too my need some work, the estamate is $2500.00 it could be a little more or less depending on the shape of the distrobution boxes. And I just placed a call to a company that will pump out the tank.
Paul

gundogblue

Reaction score
Not really a question but some have indicated that they would like to be kept up to speed on my problem.
Paul :)

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Oh... In that case, best of luck. Nothing worse than a septic system gone bad.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's great news! Not that $2500+ is chump change, but it could have been much more. I hope they can figure out a way to access the tank in the future without have to tear out the deck.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Well the septic guy was just out, he said I need the top of my septic tank re-built, and a new lid ...

The new lid certainly makes sense, but do you have any idea what he means about re-building the top of the tank? How large is the hole in the ground under your deck? Had the lid caved in or something?

Ah. It just now struck me that you might only have one access hole in your existing lid and he is planning to remove it completely and replace it with an updated version. My son-in-law and I did that with an old and abandoned tank we revived here at home a couple of years ago.

gundogblue

Reaction score
The tank is about 1000 gals, he said the top 1/8 part of the tank is deteriorating so he's gonna have to repair that and then put a new lid on, as well as installing a new pipe comming out of the septic tank, and possibly rebuilding the distrobution boxes, today Im gonna expose the distrobution boxes, it will save me a few bucks if I do that. As far as the deck is concerned , Im not going to put it back over the septic tank. Hopfully this nightmare will be over by this week-end. I feel that $2500.00 plus or minuse a little is a good price for all this work.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Not really a question but some have indicated that they would like to be kept up to speed on my problem.
You almost lost me. It would help to reply to your original thread instead of making a new one.

$2500 seems fair for that amount of work. Once you have the old system mapped out and know how to use the distribution boxes you can shut down an area that is "wet" and let it dry out for 6 months, then turn it back on again. It typically helps a system to alternate between sections of a field that way.

gundogblue

Reaction score
Southern Man,
Wow I never knew that, see the info you get on this site is worth it's wait in gold. I dug today but only found one distrobution box where the water was standing, and it don't look to healthy to me, I also found where the field tile "T's" out, three of those, and I found a place where there is a piece of field tile that acts as a stand, I asume it's for a clean out. So far only one field tile that I have found is broken, and everything past the distrobution box where the water was standing in my yard seems dry. The repair guy is comming out tomorrow to check out what I have done, with the septic tank uncoverd, and pumped out, and everything that I have dug, hopfully he will have a better picture of how to revive my old septic system, I'll keep you all informed.
Paul

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks